Loosing power on slight inclines

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Superman can't fly
Junior Bongonaut

Loosing power on slight inclines

Post by Superman can't fly » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:48 am

Hi my bongo recently decided it was funny to start loosing power on inclines. It would not go over 40mph and felt like the hulk was holding the rear of the car and was very quickly slowing down. It didn't cut out just reduced me to around 2000 revs max. After being able to stop safely I turned off the car restarted and carried on the journey. After around 2 miles it did same thing. Anyway I decided to give new fuel filter oil and air filter etc. Cleaned out the fiddly banjo filter. I then started it let it run for few mins. I then pressed the accelerator with my hand and straight away it wouldn't allow me to push above 2000revs. I let go and retried with a little blast up to 4000 for a few blasts. Seems ok so took for little spin and it seemed to go nice. Got to a straight so decided put my foot down. It went into 1st 2nd and then near on 4000 revs before hitting 3rd with the feeling off being held back a little again. Has anyone any ideas what to check next please. All help appreciated
Merlot man
Bongolier

Re: Loosing power on slight inclines

Post by Merlot man » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:37 pm

Have you checked if your brakes are binding ?
If they are you will feel the binding wheel get very hot to the touch compared to the others , the wheel rim not the tyre .
You might also see uneven wear on one side of the brake pads .
If so its most likely your calliper , a common fault , bongo spares do them for about £160
Hopes you get sorted
Brian
WebWiz
Bongonaut

Post by WebWiz » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:59 pm

Isn't 2000 rpm when the turbo should kick in?

As far as I know, the fuel pump will only provide the fuel relative to the pressure from the turbo. Maybe the turbo isn't spooling up or you have boost leak somewhere. Check all the large diameter pipes from the turbo round the intercooler and up to the intake manifold. Also check small diameter pipe from turbo to fuel pump (the one that tells the fuel pump its got boost). If you rev it and there is a leak you should hear the rushing air if the leak is big enough to slow you down

Do you have old or new shape bongo? New shape has variable vane turbo. check to see if the control rod moves when you rev it. Old one doesn't have this so the rod going to the turbo is for the waste gate (this only goes once you are up to pressure a bit like a dump valve) this should release pressure at high revs, once you have pressure that is. Maybe this is stuck open? Hard to tell.

Stupid question... Do you have a winter pack and is it switched off?
When on, this partially blocks the exhaust to warm up the engine but may restrict flow enough to stop turbo spooling up.
If you do have a winter pack, but it's off, check you may want to remove the cover to see if it's fully open when off as they can stick.

I maybe totally wrong but it's the only thing I can think of that relates to 2000 revs.
Superman can't fly
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Superman can't fly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:35 am

Thanks for those comments. My bongo is a 1995. No winter pack. Rod to waste gate was working when revs were up. As for brakes I'm going to investigate today and some off the pipes as suggested for any leaks etc. A friend suggested it could also be boost pressure sensor faulty or the fuel pump. I have a whole day today to try and find something to eliminate. Thanks for all suggestions and shall post back later tonight.. :D
Superman can't fly
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Superman can't fly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:01 pm

Update. Took for spin and it seems to be the car won't change from 3rd to 4th gear. It's reducing the speed and revs and on a incline it's reducing the revs from around 3500 to 2000. Could this be a servo on the 4th gear. Help please
WebWiz
Bongonaut

Post by WebWiz » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:15 pm

Is your HOLD light flashing?

If you press the hold button on the gear stick, does the HOLD light come on?

If it doesn't come on then maybe you have a blown bulb and it's been trying to tell you for a while.

Best do a diagnostic check to see what the hold light is trying to tell you.

this can be done DIY by jumping two connectors on the diagnostic plug and another two with a bulb and then reading the flash sequence. The hold light would normally be read for flash code but yours may be blow. If it works when pressing hold button then you can skip the bulb bit on the diagnostic and try reading the HOLD light.

Instructions: http://www.philmcfadden.co.uk/MazdaDiagnosticBox.htm
Superman can't fly
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Superman can't fly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:42 pm

Hold light does work but does not come on whilst it's doing the bongo dance 💃. Really not sure what to do as replacing the gearbox seems very expensive
WebWiz
Bongonaut

Post by WebWiz » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:02 pm

If you have no electrical issue that the diagnostics can report on, and you are not mechanically minded enough to figure it out, then you'll need to take it to a bongo doctor for a check-up.

They may come back with a simple fix. You never know.

Bongo friendly services: https://igmaynard.co.uk/servicing/
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:31 pm

It might be worthwhile testing the vehicle without the Fuel cap .
Superman can't fly
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Superman can't fly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:15 pm

Another update. Apparently it has 4 servos in the gearbox. This enabling selection. It seems to be number 4 servo not working correctly. Second hand gearbox needed. Been looking ringing around etc and average price is 500 to 600. Unless anybody knows off cheaper place. Or repair I guess. Not sure which way to turn yet but chin up they say.
WebWiz
Bongonaut

Post by WebWiz » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:34 pm

Servos or solenoids?

Think you mean solenoid.

You can get a solenoid pack for around £150 and fit it yourself.

Who's told you it was servos?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:39 pm

Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Superman can't fly
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Superman can't fly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:40 pm

The good old father in law. Oh my so it's a solenoid pack not a servo
Superman can't fly
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Superman can't fly » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:24 am

After thinking overnight I think I've forgotten to mention problems I ever been having. Throughout winter my bongo has been struggling to get into top gear until warmed and finally dropped into too gear. Also whilst driving the centre console around the gear knob would get very hot which was only drivers side and did feel real hot. This seemed to be an intermittent problem. Sometimes also when I wanted to change out off drive or reverse it would feel like became slightly locked. Also the fans inside the car would screech. I believe that is the fan motor which I have a spare so this k it needs changing. It didn't screech incidentally if turned off and air still comes through the front vents. I have just read something that suggested this motor could affect gear changing due to temperatures. Is this true! Also Betty bongo has not had a filter and fluid change in gear box. Could any off this stop her changing into top gear under pressure and before it goes to garage on Monday I would appreciate any help.
Superman can't fly
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Superman can't fly » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:25 am

Also hold light works fine if pressed and does not come e on whilst driving and having this issue.. Thanks

Return to “Techie Stuff”