Full Beam coming on with indicator

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bongoplotter
Bongonaut

Full Beam coming on with indicator

Post by Bongoplotter » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi Folks, over the past few baking hot days, my full beam has been coming on along with the left indicator. When the outside temperature cools, then all starts working normally again. Could it be also linked to the fact that the right indicator disply on the dashboard isn't flashing as, I guess, the bulb has gone? Any advice on how to replace the bulb would be much appreciated, thanks.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Full Beam coming on with indicator

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:47 pm

That's a bit of an odd one.
Do the headlights Full and Dipped operate normally on the stalk ?
Is the flashing rate normal, not slow or faster for the Left indicator ?

As regards the non-flashing dashboard light for the Right indicator, drop the steering wheel down to give more room, then remove the fascia screws 4 as I recall, to remove the fascia, then the dashboard itself can be released and pulled forward, unplug the three connectors and it can be removed and the light replaced from behind.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:39 pm

Bongoplotter wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:55 pm Hi Folks, over the past few baking hot days, my full beam has been coming on along with the left indicator. When the outside temperature cools, then all starts working normally again. Could it be also linked to the fact that the right indicator disply on the dashboard isn't flashing as, I guess, the bulb has gone? Any advice on how to replace the bulb would be much appreciated, thanks.
Is it possible to return to dipped beam while still indicating left? Or does this situation occur even when the lights are not turned on?
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
Bongoplotter
Bongonaut

Post by Bongoplotter » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:13 am

Many thanks to Markas & g8dhe. I just changed the dead bulb for the right indicator, so all is working there now. Markas, this happens when the lights are off, in broad daylight and very hot sun! Once the outside temperature has cooled down in the evening, then all works perfectly again. All other bulbs seem fine, nothing is flashing faster than normal and full & dipped headlights are operating normally from the stalk. It's definitely related to the hot weather!
Thganks again for your advice.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:32 am

If you have any freezing spray try spraying the stalk switch area, I would imagine any heat related problems are likely to show up there as the stalk switches are quite compact, once the wiring has left that area there is little chance of them interacting electrically anywhere else to cause that sort of fault. You might find just moving the wiring around in that area might even cure the problem.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bongoplotter
Bongonaut

Post by Bongoplotter » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:45 pm

Thanks g8dhe. Been driving around in the baking hot sun again today and all was well, no sign of the full beam coming on with the left indicator, so it could have been a weird combination of the dead bulb & hot weather. I'll keep the freezing spray in mind though incase the problem recurs.
Thanks again
thebubbabears
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by thebubbabears » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:48 pm

Hi it will be the Earth strip ,you have 2 either side behind bumper ,
How to ,remove Center grill then remove indicators , then head lamps ,look down through headlight hole ,you will see next to horn ,a strip of black wires ,remove 10 mm bolt ,lift up wires ,there is two clips ,flip up then you can pull out blade to clean ,the put some Vaseline on and bolt back up , then do the same on other side ,
These strip earths control left /right lights ,washers,indicators rear wiper ,washer
Then just put lights in loose an check
It only goes suck squeeze bang blow ,the engine ,not the wife that is
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:21 pm

My suggestion was going to be the earth as above. I had a similar fault years ago on a Peugeot. With that it ended up that the rear cluster was earthed in the engine bay and the wire broke down over time. It was a simple fix for that my adding an earth write to a bolt in the boot. However it instantly fixed all the wacky things that were happening.

Return to “Techie Stuff”