Please help trouble with garage.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

catbosco
Junior Bongonaut

Please help trouble with garage.

Post by catbosco » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:59 am

Hi all can anyone help my bongo was in a garage have her heads replaced, when she came back with faults that she did not have before. the piece or plastic on the idle control valve/solenoid which the small pipe attaches to was been broken off and stuck back together, anougher one plastic piece on a intake pipe has been broken but they have tried sticking back together but can't on it. so they said because its a old car its up to me to replace them, its not there fault they broke when they where working on the car. this is only one of the list I have paid a lot of money much more then he quoted please help.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Please help trouble with garage.

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:41 am

Mine broke on my diesel and i've not managed to do a lasting repair but the engine doesnt seem to fuss without it. I can sympathise with the garage a bit - brittle old components are at risk when manouvring large components in tight spaces as part of major procedures. Could the garage source (maybe from Bongo Spares) and fit a replacement (i'm guessing labour cost shouldn't be much). Is it rude to ask what head replacement cost and was garage experienced with Bongos. You say 'heads' (plural) - is yours a v6?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:10 am

I find that very strange from a professional garage ,they replaced the cylinder heads on an old car, but cant replace broken pipes. It doesn't matter if the pipes are old (the heads were old) its up to the garage owner to make sure the job is carried out properly.
When you are working on an old car you should expect these things to happen , otherwise they should not have taken the job on.

What was the name and address of the garage.

Take care.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:24 am

teenmal wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:10 am What was the name and address of the garage.
I'd advise against doing that on here - many years back BF and moderators decided it was unwise. PM teenmal details if need be. I think teenmal is broadly correct though - it is understandable these things might break on an old car when doing a major job but they ought to 'own' the problem a bit even if an extra expense is involved. I wonder though if part of their problem could be not knowing where to source the parts (hence my questions above).
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi Catbosco,

I would be interested to know which garage as I'm also in Surrey.

Is it on the recommended Garages list?

Will you be at the Bash?
TheHillsAreCalling
Bongonaut

Post by TheHillsAreCalling » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Sorry to hear you've had problems.

If you're in Surrey then I bet I know what garage it was. If I'm right, then I had some issues with
them in the past, and regretted ever taking our Bongo there. I know of at least one other member here (via PM) who also had problems with them.

It seems they used to be really good with Bongos - and as far as I know they're still on the "recommended garages" list here as a result - but I suspect that may no longer be the case. Times change, people move on etc.

A thread I posted on here in July last year about needing to find a garage to change a rear diff might be worth a read if you're interested.

Edit: Just found teh post - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=73608&hilit=thehillsarecalling
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:04 pm

TheHillsAreCalling wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:20 pm Sorry to hear you've had problems.

If you're in Surrey then I bet I know what garage it was. If I'm right, then I had some issues with
them in the past, and regretted ever taking our Bongo there. I know of at least one other member here (via PM) who also had problems with them.

It seems they used to be really good with Bongos - and as far as I know they're still on the "recommended garages" list here as a result - but I suspect that may no longer be the case. Times change, people move on etc.

A thread I posted on here in July last year about needing to find a garage to change a rear diff might be worth a read if you're interested.

Edit: Just found teh post - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=73608&hilit=thehillsarecalling

Exactly and they may still be recommended ,personally I don't see any reason for not giving the details of any Professional Garage, its only a name and address , this is not illegal by any means. I have regularly seen on this forum peeps slagging of parts suppliers and saying "You pays your money".
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:19 pm

Speaking as a Bongo garage of over 14 years, we'd repair or replace anything that broke while doing the job.
We'd do it FOC (free of charge).

If the plastic was already broken before we worked on it, we'd let you know, so there were no surprises.

Different garages will have different ways of working.

Yes old plastic becomes brittle and can accidently break.

If they absolutely refuse to repair FOC, see if you can come to a compromise between you, on sharing the cost?
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
catbosco
Junior Bongonaut

Post by catbosco » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:12 pm

Thank you all for your advice. Can't go to bongo bash the cars not going because of the broken bits. Also I had someone from the facebook bongo site come and look at the work and he said he would not be surprised if one of the heads is not gone again. I was a fool the garage in question has never done any work on a bongo before. I just thought if you could do one make of car you should be able to do most cars. I won't name the garage as if he can't do the job properly in a time scale. I will have to take it to ava leisure where I should have taken it in the first place.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:40 pm

Did the Facebook person explain why they thought a head had gone again?

Have you driven it since the repair?

Is the garage on the recommended list, or have they never worked on a Bongo?

These points will help us get further.
catbosco
Junior Bongonaut

Post by catbosco » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:29 pm

Oil leak on the passengers side lot of white smoke.
When engine running and ht leads are removed something is conbusting but he does not know what is causing that it might be something to do with one of pipe was leaking petrol quite bad onto the engine. I did say to the garage when picked it up but they said it's most probably where they cleaned the engine. I drove it about 10 miles. As I was told she just needed a intake pipe when I brought the parts they would fit them free of charged.
They are not on the recommend list.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:32 pm

Thanks for more info. :)

Return to “Techie Stuff”