Connecting Rods on Diesel Engine

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Ian
Supreme Being

Connecting Rods on Diesel Engine

Post by Ian » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:17 am

This query, way out of level of technical competence, has been received from James. He has a 4WD automatic diesel

Can I please ask you a detailed engine question? Andy (Lemar Engines in Totnes) really knows his engines — 40 years in the area! He showed me my engine with the head removed (which is clearly cracked — and spraying water under pressure), but then he noticed that the pistons are slightly not even, so ... the 3rd Connecting Rod is bent... He is suggesting we change the 1 connecting rod, and since we have the pistons out, we may as well change the Rings. He says none of this is “necessary”, so I could just put it all together for £1700 (including vat), but that the proper way to fix this would be to replace the 1 connecting rod, and the 4 rings (120,000 miles on the clock, but this engine will be new again).

This all sounds like he’s an expert, and he is offering very smart considerations, however, I am now up to £2000 + 20% VAT. He will also look at / or replace the Plugs, and Injectors, as well as the Radiator and all hoses to ensure they are functioning well. But, in your Bongo experience, is there anything additionally that I should consider, or be aware of? (Like why not replace all 4 connecting rods, etc, or anything deeper in the engine?, etc).

Any suggestions or brief comments will be highly appreciated :-)
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Connecting Rods on Diesel Engine

Post by teenmal » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:22 pm

Ian wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:17 am This query, way out of level of technical competence, has been received from James. He has a 4WD automatic diesel

Can I please ask you a detailed engine question? Andy (Lemar Engines in Totnes) really knows his engines — 40 years in the area! He showed me my engine with the head removed (which is clearly cracked — and spraying water under pressure), but then he noticed that the pistons are slightly not even, so ... the 3rd Connecting Rod is bent... He is suggesting we change the 1 connecting rod, and since we have the pistons out, we may as well change the Rings. He says none of this is “necessary”, so I could just put it all together for £1700 (including vat), but that the proper way to fix this would be to replace the 1 connecting rod, and the 4 rings (120,000 miles on the clock, but this engine will be new again).

This all sounds like he’s an expert, and he is offering very smart considerations, however, I am now up to £2000 + 20% VAT. He will also look at / or replace the Plugs, and Injectors, as well as the Radiator and all hoses to ensure they are functioning well. But, in your Bongo experience, is there anything additionally that I should consider, or be aware of? (Like why not replace all 4 connecting rods, etc, or anything deeper in the engine?, etc).

Any suggestions or brief comments will be highly appreciated :-)

If this chappie can give you a NEW engine for £2000 + vat with a new engine guarantee it might be worth that option .

As a matter onf interest what cylinder was the crack on the cylinder head.

Return to “Techie Stuff”