Help. Long glow plugs urgently required.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

WebWiz
Bongonaut

Help. Long glow plugs urgently required.

Post by WebWiz » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Hi guys,

First post and I wish it was a happy one...

I don't suppose anyone in Bristol has a spare set of long plugs I can buy this weekend?

Bought a bongo and it worked fine for a while but just packed up. Found out the wrong plugs have been fitted by last owner and the bus bar has shorted on return pipes and blown fusable link. Also all vac hoses broken off solenoid stems but have already got the replacement but need to do plugs before fitting vac system back on top.

Local shop has inline fuses but can't get any plugs until Monday and need to fix it tomorrow of possible.

Probably no chance but please let me know if you can help.

Thanks,
Alan
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Help. Long glow plugs urgently required.

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:42 pm

short plugs can be extended upwards by getting some old petrol spark plugs, with the screw top cap, saw the thread off the petrol plugs, screw the petrol plug caps onto the heater plug tops then screw the petrol thread down into them then fit the top nut onto the heater plug, this will lift the height of the buss bar by about 10 mm till you get the correct length heater plugs.
WebWiz
Bongonaut

Post by WebWiz » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:45 am

Thanks for the info.

I had tried same idea with brass motherboard stand-offs but the thread was the wrong pitch. I'll keep hold of the old, short, plugs in case anyone around here needs a short set.

Got long plugs yesterday and replaced fusable link with inline blade holder. Only thing is the 30a fuses keep blowing after about 5 seconds of glow plugs starting. Works fine with some thin speaker wire across the blades as a temporary fuse and the wire only gets warm, not hot. Do the plugs draw just over 30a? I don't have a multi-meter to test but thinking I should get one as the bongo seems to like keeping me busy.

Also, while replacing cold start/EGR vac system, I discovered that EGR has been blanked off. As this will fail the MOT, I'm want to remove the blanking plate. Is there a risk of any crud build-up in the EGR pipe falling into the inlet manifold when I slide it out or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:30 am

WebWiz wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:45 am Thanks for the info.

I had tried same idea with brass motherboard stand-offs but the thread was the wrong pitch. I'll keep hold of the old, short, plugs in case anyone around here needs a short set.

Got long plugs yesterday and replaced fusable link with inline blade holder. Only thing is the 30a fuses keep blowing after about 5 seconds of glow plugs starting. Works fine with some thin speaker wire across the blades as a temporary fuse and the wire only gets warm, not hot. Do the plugs draw just over 30a? I don't have a multi-meter to test but thinking I should get one as the bongo seems to like keeping me busy.

Also, while replacing cold start/EGR vac system, I discovered that EGR has been blanked off. As this will fail the MOT, I'm want to remove the blanking plate. Is there a risk of any crud build-up in the EGR pipe falling into the inlet manifold when I slide it out or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks

It is advisable to have the inlet manifold and pipe work cleaned , its probably got Twenty + years build up of crud,it will also help the MPG .
WebWiz
Bongonaut

Post by WebWiz » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:17 am

teenmal wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:30 am It is advisable to have the inlet manifold and pipe work cleaned , its probably got Twenty + years build up of crud,it will also help the MPG .
Thanks. Will attempt to remove inlet manifold and EGR pipe and clean both. Any tips on removing pipe from EGR valve? Bolts seem bloody hard to get to right by bulkhead.

Thanks

Return to “Techie Stuff”