Fault code - help required

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

costas
Bongonaut

Fault code - help required

Post by costas » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:42 pm

2002 2.5td
Previously had a lb and change over but currently removed - trying to diagnose 100a blowing. I only mention this in case it’s related, it does appear to be resolved.

I have a intermittent issue, the glowplug light flashes with a loss of power. I’d guess it’s a loss of turbo, possibly a limp home mode?

Trying to confirm the 100a was sorted I noticed the glow plug light was flashing steadily so jumped to grab an led as per phil McFadden.

First of all, 100% I had the correct ports... But the led kept blowing. On my way to grab a fifth led I noticed that the glow plug light had changed from a steady flash to an apparent display of fault codes, I had left the jumper wire in. The problem being I can’t make head nor tail of it! I did record the flashes, Can any of you kind people help?

https://youtu.be/3ohvItWvRfE
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Fault code - help required

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:06 pm

First of all if the 100 Amp fuse is blowing suspect the alternator, unless you can see sparks and smoke :-) Often the alternator diode pack fails under high temperature, provides a short circuit that blows the fuse, then when it cools down again and you have replaced the fuse all seems fine till next time......
When the 100 Amp fuse blows then charge isn't going into the battery, if the voltage falls to far on the battery then the backup supply to the ECU is too low and the ECU reports a fault - no backup supply - all errors are indicated by the Glow plug light flashing, you need to read the code itself to find the specific fault.
So concentrate on the 100 Amp fuse first, get the alternator sorted, and then there is a good chance that the flashing glowplug will stop because the ECU is still getting its backup supply when the ignition is turned off.
There are other possibilities, but a lot less likely than the above, one of the hazards of diagnosing remotely .....
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
costas
Bongonaut

Re: Fault code - help required

Post by costas » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:47 pm

Thanks Geoff, you’re not the first to call out the alternator for this reason (or are you??).

I’ve found a local place that’ll check out the alternator for me, will remove it tomorrow and hopefully have an update next.

Appreciate your reply.

Return to “Techie Stuff”