Transmission not changing up to 4th and lock-up not working.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

dickiebongo
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Transmission not changing up to 4th and lock-up not working.

Post by dickiebongo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:22 am

I found the solenoid resistance diagram I was thinking of (link below), it also shows the solenoid locations, so the lock-up solenoid is the one on the bottom on it's own (the other 4 are on the top). That's good news in one respect as it means it could likely be changed without having to remove the valve body. On the other hand I'm not sure it's included in the set of solenoids from mazdabongo.com (referred to in @Simon's other post), they look like the 4 on the top to me. It's worth asking if they can supply the solenoid I guess, if it turns out to be the problem, other than that a Mazda dealer can probably get one too (the dealer local to me is quite helpful).

Solenoid locations and resistances
SimonD
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by SimonD » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:31 pm

Dickie, that is simply superb.
So many thanks for this info.

indeed, I still need to find out whether the TCC lockup solenoid is included in the 'Solenoid Pack' that mazdabongo.com sell, but like you, I think that it doesnt look like it is. I'll .. ask them !

I'd found the relay on mine by the way - thanks for that info too. I might as well swap it out anyway.

I've eyeballed those connectors on the side of the 'box earleir today. Nervous of making things a lot worse but I guess I have to bite the bullet and clean them.

The hold light flashing comes on almost straight away now, about 5 seconds after ignition.
(even if I've cleared down the fault codes)
it's become progressively 'quicker' to kick in.

Onwards and hopefully upwards!

Hope you had a great trip - fantastic weather for it.

Simon
dickiebongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by dickiebongo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:05 pm

The delay in the error code being produced might indicate something like continuity loss when the solenoid gets warm, so if you're going to check the solenoid resistance make sure you do it under the same conditions that the fault code is generated under - sorry if that's obvious but thought it was worth mentioning.

Yes, trip was great thanks, time to get the spanners out again now though, still nice weather fir that too!

Return to “Techie Stuff”