Bongo not starting

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Gertie
Apprentice Bongonaut

Bongo not starting

Post by Gertie » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:47 pm

Hello all,

We’ve had our Bongo for a few years now, she’s a 2.5D camper. Last year she dumped all her coolant and I replaced a few hoses and bled the system etc. Everything seemed Ok but she kept loosing a little water but I couldn’t find a leak. Eventually I tracked it down to the water pump and bought a replacement... Fast forward 8 months and I finally got around to replacing the pump and thermostat. Put everything back together and the battery was flat... Charged it overnight and now she turns over but doesn’t start!

I know how to hold a spanner but need some help diagnosing the problem (happy to be treated like an idiot). Or maybe there is an Essex based mobile mechanic who knows their way around a Bongo that you could recommend?

Many thanks,

DB.
Gertie
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Bongo not starting

Post by Gertie » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:51 pm

During the 8 months mentioned above she was out of action and sitting on the drive. When trying to start there is a buzzing coming from under the drives seat...don’t remember this from before.

Not sure if this helps with the diagnosis but thought I’d mention it.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:16 pm

It's possible that the fuel has evaporated and caused a blockage in the banjo filter or fuel filter.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Gertie
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Gertie » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:26 pm

Excellent, thank you. Just googled that and have some instructions. Will try later this week.

DB.
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:08 pm

It's also possible that if there was a 'bio' element in the diesel it has caused algae to form and clog up the system while the van's been left standing.
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:58 pm

Gertie wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:51 pm During the 8 months mentioned above she was out of action and sitting on the drive. When trying to start there is a buzzing coming from under the drives seat...don’t remember this from before.

Not sure if this helps with the diagnosis but thought I’d mention it.

Does the engine turn over when you hear the buzzing noise, the buzzing could be dirty / loose starter cable. But please be careful when you go the check it incase you have a HIVE.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:32 am

Mine often buzzes a bit when i turn ignition key to glow plug light on position. Not sure if its fuel pump or glow plug relay related but fancy its the former. Perhaps a techie on here could advise. I wonder if you have an airlock due to fuel draining back towards the tank through lack of use. Was the Bongo parked facing up a slope?

Return to “Techie Stuff”