Roof Stuck Down

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

jgm
Junior Bongonaut

Roof Stuck Down

Post by jgm » Fri May 25, 2018 10:49 am

Hello,

I went to raise the roof last night for the first time since last summer.

Engine running, pressed the button, all the usual noises, beeping, motor whirring, things sliding. When the beeping stopped I released the button and looked up, the roof hadn't moved.

I've tried pushing the roof up from inside while pushing the button, again all the right noises but no movement.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John.
V6 Bongo, KTM 990 SMT, Tiger 955i
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Roof Stuck Down

Post by g8dhe » Sat May 26, 2018 10:12 am

If the motors are running then as they drive the Teleflex cable by a worm drive I would guess that the cables have come free from the fixings and hence no movement of the roof itself see some pictures here http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/aft/index.php?ind=12 your problem is going to be lifting the roof to gain access to the cables and motors .....
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sat May 26, 2018 10:51 am

This is from the AFT factsheet in the members area:

It’s also possible (but unlikely) that a major mechanical fault has occurred. In this case you may have to raise the roof manually, but this is a very difficult job and will take at least 2 of you.

Splitpin says "Raising the roof was difficult by myself and would have been much easier with a helper, I found it could only be lifted about an inch at the front initially and after wedging with rubber blocks I could access the slider arms with a long wide screwdriver and push them back a little at a time and then support the roof with pieces of wood one side at a time. Eventually at about the half raised position it tends to stop trying to come back down by itself and gets much easier to push up."
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
jgm
Junior Bongonaut

Post by jgm » Sat May 26, 2018 2:27 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I'm assuming there is some sort of locking mechanism at the front which would have to be disengaged before attempting to manually raise the roof?

I suppose pressing the button during the initial part of the lift might do it, so that probably means three people :-)

Cheers,

John
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat May 26, 2018 3:07 pm

No there is no locking mechanism as such the rollers simply enter a plastic cage area where they can't lift up, the only locking is by by the worm drive from motor to teleflex cables see the pictures here on the second page http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/aft/
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
jgm
Junior Bongonaut

Post by jgm » Sat May 26, 2018 5:19 pm

Thanks. I think I may forget all about it for a week then organise some assistance and try lift the roof.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Return to “Techie Stuff”