Stuck in France!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bongofan
Apprentice Bongonaut

Stuck in France!

Post by Bongofan » Fri May 25, 2018 7:09 am

Hello all and help!
I've taken a flying leap to go travelling around france for 3 months and my beautiful(slightly rusty) bongo has blown up. The cylinder head gasket went on the motor way. 2 different mechanics had a look at it. Both say the engine needs replacing. It's siezed apparently. Not even turning over. :cry:
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement diesel engine for a 1996 model in France? I really don't want to get rid of her if possible. They (the mechanics) made that special face that said it would be easier to get rid of it.
She's in Brittany at the moment and we are carrying travelling on using trains, but we'll have to go back and sort something out in a month of so. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated! [-o<
Thanks
Paul
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Stuck in France!

Post by teenmal » Fri May 25, 2018 8:39 am

Hi Paul, do you not have breakdown cover?

Regarding the engine you will have more of a chance locating a Ford Ranger WLTD unit,a lot of mechanics will not fit an untested unit and a to fit a guaranteed reconditioned unit might be more than your vehicle is worth.

Good luck.
Katka
Bongolier

Post by Katka » Fri May 25, 2018 9:00 am

Another member had a failure when in Czech. He managed to return to UK for an experienced bongo expert to sort out. You'll find the thread on the forum. From Britanny you have several ferry options to England. This might be a better option than trying to sort it in France.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri May 25, 2018 9:27 am

Agree with the others.

It may well be best to get Bongy recovered to one of the quality Bongo experts on the south coast. Likely easier than trying to explain the bleed process to someone not familiar with it, let alone persuade them to fit an unknown second hand engine.

Bear in mind breakdown recovery companies will try and write off the vehicle if the cost of recovery exceeds the vehicle's value (in their view) so,if you have cover you may need to argue.

Sorry to hear you have troubles, but welcome aboard, and do keep us updated. 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”