Missing or Lost Fuse number 1

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

AndyPerkins
Apprentice Bongonaut

Missing or Lost Fuse number 1

Post by AndyPerkins » Thu May 24, 2018 8:58 am

I have a 2000 (W reg) 2.5 diesel automatic Bongo. Until yesterday I had never really looked at the panel of fuses (those by the driver's knee inside the cab) but when I did I noticed that fuse number 1 (10A, red, top-left of the whole array) was missing. I don't know why it is missing.

1 - According to Bongo Fury's Members Fact sheet, this fuse serves the "Cabin". The same is on a factsheet at http://www.bongoforum.me.uk/index.php/f ... nfo-sheets.
2 - According to website http://bongobuddy.co.uk/fuses/, this fuse serves "Radio back-up / Roof light / Air con / Beeps warnings / Central locking".
3 - According to the "By Fuse" part of the website http://www.g8dhe.net/bwm/, this fuse (for a diesel) serves "Engine - Control System, Air conditioning - Auto A/C Control System & Heater, Interior lighting - Cargo Room & Spot Lights, Accessories - Audio System, Accessories - Car Navigation System, Body - Power Door Lock System, Body - Auto Free Top, Body - Sound Warning System"

I don't have a Navigation System and the Radio and interior lights run off of the Leisure Battery. I have a feeling that the central locking runs off of the Leisure Battery too as it stopped working when I had an issue with the Leisure Battery not charging. I assume that without a fuse the items listed above would not work and as far as I am aware they are all functioning, so I can't see that this is an instance where the fuse has fallen out.

I have obtained a replacement but I thought I would seek some advice first from club members before putting a new fuse in as to whether anyone knows of any reason (good or bad) why the fuse might have been deliberately removed. I don't, for example, want to make some wires live that aren't supposed to be.

Any suggestions gratefully received,

Andy Perkins
Bristol.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Missing or Lost Fuse number 1

Post by g8dhe » Thu May 24, 2018 9:49 am

If you have a leisure battery its common to move up to four circuits across from the existing panel to the LB, they include the fuse your referring to, the other three circuits are the two blind circuits and the Ancillaries circuit top right 15 Amp blue. You may find that this has been done on yours.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
AndyPerkins
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by AndyPerkins » Thu May 24, 2018 10:11 am

g8dhe wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:49 am If you have a leisure battery its common to move up to four circuits across from the existing panel to the LB, they include the fuse your referring to, the other three circuits are the two blind circuits and the Ancillaries circuit top right 15 Amp blue. You may find that this has been done on yours.
Thanks Geoff. That may explain it. The ones that I have missing (using numbering system on Bongo Fury factsheet) are numbers 1 and 18. Plus the two un-numbered ones to the right of 18 which I assume are available for extras. Everything else is present. I'm curious now about the missing number 18 (factsheet says Glowplugs) as I have an on-going unresolved issue with the glow-plug warning light flashing (comes on after about 5 mins). It's not the glowplugs themselves. Garage said engine management system said error was fuel pump, but lots of £££ later, that was taken out, bench tested and found to be fine. I have a whole list of possible causes that I have found from various forums to run through and try and check, but would a missing #18 fuse cause the glow-plug light to start flashing after about 5 minutes ?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu May 24, 2018 12:03 pm

The fuse numbering can be confusing, as the Japanese is right to left numbering but the numbering on the front is left to right best to refer to row and position from left/right! Not all fuse positions are used varies with model and year so extra info always needed!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
AndyPerkins
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by AndyPerkins » Thu May 24, 2018 12:19 pm

g8dhe wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:03 pm The fuse numbering can be confusing, as the Japanese is right to left numbering but the numbering on the front is left to right best to refer to row and position from left/right! Not all fuse positions are used varies with model and year so extra info always needed!
OK. My missing fuses are top row, first on left (number 1 as previously described) and number 18 is on the 3rd row down, second small one from the left (10A) (i.e. not counting the big 30A chunky one in the corner).
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu May 24, 2018 2:57 pm

OK well that fuse detects when the Glowplugs are powered up and feeds back to the ECU the current state is. Surprised it is missing might mean your glowplugs are powered up much longer than necessary ... are notice your a 2000 version they may have moved it as my diagrams only go up to the end 1999.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Thu May 24, 2018 3:24 pm

That fuse is for Headlamps on later Bongos. :-|
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.

Return to “Techie Stuff”