air con(not cool)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

knpenny
Bongolier

air con(not cool)

Post by knpenny » Tue May 22, 2018 5:10 pm

just recently done the air con refresh bout 3-4 weeks ago and it was working fine, had the bongo out today and it seems to not be cold anymore, possible air con line leak? if anyone has experience with common faults with air con system, could you point me in right direction please?
the fan still comes on automatically which would suggest the system is charged, but is it a possibility that it has lost some pressure some how? :cry:
Thanks in advance for any tips. Again i just dont have enough experience with these systems, as i'm scottish and its pretty much unused tech up there :lol:
Bongology, the study of all things bong. The bongologist. :shock:
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: air con(not cool)

Post by Bob » Tue May 22, 2018 5:36 pm

I'm pretty sure the fan comes on anyhow, system charged or not.

Often an uv dye is added when recharging to help identify any leaks, not sure if this was done?

And it's a good idea to run aircon weekly as the gas contains a lubricant, if this isn't done for a while the seals can dry out and leak. :(
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Tue May 22, 2018 5:56 pm

I used an auto detect system at work and it didnt show anything, its interesting, when i was undersealing the bongo last week and observed what looked like a drop of oil on the bottom of the ac pipe that goes into the rear heater, i think that seal maybe leaking :(
I do run the ac anytime i drive her nowadays after reading some posts on ac here. I did wonder if that had happened. Oh well :roll: , more work to do i suppose, i just hope its not the compressor [-o<
Is it likely to be the compressor ar could it be a seal on the pipe do you know? Thanks again for the response bob
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue May 22, 2018 5:59 pm

Really not sure I'm afraid, but I've never heard of a 'known Bongo problem' with the aircon, so very likely just a seal. [-o<
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue May 22, 2018 6:38 pm

Owing to the fact that the ac fan is operating suggests that it has "some pressure" but maybe not enough to make the ac efficient.you can check the sight glass for bubbles.

And how dare you say AC is not really needed in Bonnie Scotland, AC can be used all year round, I have been using mine a lot recently in Bonnie Scotland. :D
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Tue May 22, 2018 7:10 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: yeah ma family back ower there's been sayin its the apocalyps cos its been too hot :lol: :lol:
I'm really showing ma lack o "ken how" on ac here when i ask, where is the sight glass? :oops:
Cheers fir gettin back tae us n that :D
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue May 22, 2018 7:18 pm

knpenny wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:10 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: yeah ma family back ower there's been sayin its the apocalyps cos its been too hot :lol: :lol:
I'm really showing ma lack o "ken how" on ac here when i ask, where is the sight glass? :oops:
Cheers fir gettin back tae us n that :D
Sight glass , top right hand corner of ac rad looking from the front of vehicle.

Thoir an aire
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Tue May 22, 2018 7:25 pm

soar alba, thanks kindly teenmal, would i check this while engine on and ac running?
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Tue May 22, 2018 8:13 pm

i can confirm that there be bubbles in the sight glass :( guess i have a depressurisation issue, but the good news is i think i know where :wink: at least the compressor aint gubbed :D there's always light at the end of the tunnel, unless you're coming out the tunnel in the north of sweden in the winter :lol:
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Tue May 22, 2018 8:36 pm

just out of interest, can you confirm how much gas goes in the system, the last time i did it i put 950g as its what i saw on the interweb, but to be honest i would prefer some input from the proffesional season longers here, i haven't had any issues with your guys advice so i just thought you'd be the best people to confirm. Thanks in advance as always, always appreciate the guidance :D
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Wed May 23, 2018 5:14 pm

Happy to report that on checking the entire ac system that the onle place that was leaking was at the rear heater ac pipes, both o rings have been replaced and gave it a good test to make sure it was ok. So far so good and no bubbles (thanks for the tip teenmal) :wink: :D
I'll be making regular obsevations for the next couple of weeks as with just about every system on the bongo :roll: but thats all part of the fun eh? :lol:
she had lost 685g out of the 950g i'd put in her in the space of less than 4 weeks, so not a catastophic leak but definitely had to be sorted (especially here)
Just glad it cost nothing as i already had o rings and sorted her at work at lunch time (hungry now tho)
Thanks as always for the tips and advice =D> I absolutely love this forum, i'd be lost without it :oops: =D> =D> =D>
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri May 25, 2018 3:24 pm

teenmal wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:38 pm Owing to the fact that the ac fan is operating suggests that it has "some pressure" but maybe not enough to make the ac efficient.you can check the sight glass for bubbles.

And how dare you say AC is not really needed in Bonnie Scotland, AC can be used all year round, I have been using mine a lot recently in Bonnie Scotland. :D

Air con on full blast today and cans in the glove box chiller . :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”