Sliding door motor issue?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Sliding door motor issue?

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:36 am

Redpepsi31 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:18 pm Used soft closure motor purchased for £12 plus carriage.
Fitted today working a treat .
Thanks to everyone for their input and guidance .
Wow, great news, that sounds like an excellent quick fix. Was it tricky to do? Would make a great BF factsheet if you cared to type up some notes and email them to Ian at BF. =D> =D> =D>
Redpepsi31
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Redpepsi31 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:00 pm

Happy to.post it here Mike if that helps;
To be honest most the jobs on the Bongo I've tackled thus far have been relatively straightforward and it really is a nice bit of kit to work on.
All the clips , screws , nuts, trim parts seem to oblige when asked to vacate their alloted space !
Anyway , with the help and advice from the site previously mentioned i was able to swap out the motor and gearing assembly within an hour or so.
Tools required flat blade screw driver , trim removal tool , 10mm socket , 2 x 10mm open end sockets .
Using the trim tool pop the upper trim panel that runs above the slide door glass.
The slide door handle is remove by easing the handle slightly forward and with the use of a decent size flat blade screwdriver pushing the handle retaining clip downwards thus releasing the door handle.
Returning to the trim removal tool then pop all the trim fasteners off the door panel (there are lots and i needed to have the slide door open to get at those towards the rear) tip here is to get the tool as close to the fasteners as possible as the door card had softened over time.
Once all these are popped the door car lifts off the door release button.
You will then see the plastic door panel cover held to the frame by mastic or similiar , Mrs H came to my rescue here as 4 hands are definitely better than 2 as its very sticky and wants to do just that to itself , interior trim , Lab puppy and me.
With this removed and laid flat well away from everything you can access the soft closure motor.
3 connectors at the bottom of the motor unclip , 3 x 10mm bolts unfasten the motor unit from the door frame then a little bit of manouvering releases the motor assembly from behind the door frame .
The motor is then just left attached to the door closure cable , this is just a nipple ended cable that pulls out of the unit , it was a bit awkward as the nipple has a nylon bush around it , mine was a bit mashed making it a bit difficult to pull out but it eventually obliged .
The cable is adjusted with the 2 x 10mm open ended spanners just unpinch these nuts and the unit is free.
Fitting the new motor is just a reverse of the above , no cable adjustment should be necessary although i did take a picture of the threaded area before i undid the nut just incase.
I struggled a bit replacing the door handle clip with the handle fitted to the door spline so fitted the clip to the handle first then popped it over the splined shaft.
I've got to say i was pretty chuffed when i closed the door and the motor kicked into life!
Spurred on by my success I've just fitted a header tank alarm , this afternoons job is to remove and refurb the front headlining.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:05 pm

Brilliant and that could really help somebody else one day. Where did you purchase the soft closing motor and whats the model number and/or how did you know which one to buy?
Redpepsi31
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Redpepsi31 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi.
Bongo parts via e-bid @ an incredible £12 plus £4 carriage .
tbh i don't know if there are more than one type , however i already had the old motor removed and just matched it up to the picture on e-bid.

Return to “Techie Stuff”