Leisure battery query

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Redpepsi31
Junior Bongonaut

Leisure battery query

Post by Redpepsi31 » Sun May 20, 2018 5:34 pm

Afternoon.
We've not long taken possession of our Bongo and have started to kit her out ready for our maiden voyage from North wales to the Peak District week after next.
All seems well save for any power to the fridge , sink and light over the hob/sink when the engine is off.
They all work fine when the engine is running but when i stop the engine they cut out after a minute or so.
The leisure battery is fully charged and its inline spade fuse is fine .
For info the conversion was carried out by chequered flag in 2014.
I'm assuming the leisure battery should power these items on its own or am i missing something?!
Cheers
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Leisure battery query

Post by Bob » Sun May 20, 2018 5:46 pm

Hi, and welcome aboard.

It's possible there is a control knob somewhere, likely labeled something like, 'Car', 'Van', 'Both', 'Off'.

If it is fitted with something like this try different possitions, but likely, 'Van' may do it.

It's always difficult with conversions, but someone may well know more. :wink:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun May 20, 2018 6:04 pm

There should be TWO charging fuses, one close to each battery, it sounds like the one closer to the LB has blown and the feed for the LB fuse box is also taken from that fuse, so when the relay operates you have power from SB and alternator, but no charging and when the relay releases then no power because of the LB fuse has blown.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Redpepsi31
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Redpepsi31 » Sun May 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Thank you so much for the promp replies .
Bob i cannot find a control knob switch anywhere I've searched high and low with no joy .
G8dhe , on the LB side the 15amp spade fuse is fine but just prior to that and immediately after the battery terminal is a coNection fuse? Just one N quite a substantial looking affair that I'm not familiar with I've taken the cover off and that might be the issue as there does appear to be a gap in the centre although I'm unsure how it should look in the first place.
I have taken a picture of it on my phone but it won't download to the thread as the file size is too large and i don't know how to change it.
Thanks again for your help.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun May 20, 2018 7:26 pm

There should be TWO of those fuses and if one blows then you need to replace both of them as the other will be damaged, it will be in a similar position but on the starter battery side.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Redpepsi31
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Redpepsi31 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:56 pm

Thank you geoff.
80amp fuse had definitely blown LB side , can't see any issues on the SB side but I've ordered them nonetheless .
Many thanks for your expert help and analysis.
I'm much obliged.
Brent

Return to “Techie Stuff”