Rear Heater Leak

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

stark
Bongonaut

Rear Heater Leak

Post by stark » Sun May 13, 2018 10:42 am

HI

I've got a leak from under the rear heater matrix. whilst one pipe is weeping slightly there is also what looks like an overflow pipe? which is basically piddling out whatever i put in the coolant header tank ( red circled on picture https://www.dropbox.com/s/l33inbeyn6fyo ... 0.jpg?dl=0). sorry can't work out how to embed images

anyone had this before or know what is causing it?

cheers
stuart
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Rear Heater Leak

Post by g8dhe » Sun May 13, 2018 11:30 am

Its not overflow its to allow the condensation water out from outside the cooling matrix, if its flowing out of there it sounds like there is damage to the heating matrix or its feed pipes inside. If you have any side conversion then access nay be difficult from the inside, you maybe better off getting a bypass kit (I think the shop does kits) to bypass the system unless you replace the matrix itself.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
stark
Bongonaut

Post by stark » Sun May 13, 2018 12:04 pm

cheers, can't see any bypass kits on the shop though :/ perhaps i'm looking in the wrong place
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Sun May 13, 2018 1:11 pm

Possibly this? https://bongoland.co.uk/product/mazda-b ... to-aug-99/ Wonder if it fits the 99 onwards as well?
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sun May 13, 2018 4:53 pm

Hello.
I had exactly the same problem with my rear matrix. My fix was to bypass the matrix using some 15mm copper pipe, 2 copper elbows, which come pre soldered so you just need to heat them with a blow torch to fit them. And finally 2 copper pipe joiners which go over the pipe (which insert into your rubber pipes) to give it the required thickness otherwise you will not be able to tighten the rubber pipes up enough to form a seal on 15mm pipe.
I refitted my rubber pipes to the copper pipe using jubliee clips.
Hope that helps.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun May 13, 2018 4:56 pm

TheLongRoad wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 1:11 pm Possibly this? https://bongoland.co.uk/product/mazda-b ... to-aug-99/ Wonder if it fits the 99 onwards as well?
Only fits pre-99 I'm afraid.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:27 am

Roy748 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:53 pm Hello.
I had exactly the same problem with my rear matrix. My fix was to bypass the matrix using some 15mm copper pipe, 2 copper elbows, which come pre soldered so you just need to heat them with a blow torch to fit them. And finally 2 copper pipe joiners which go over the pipe (which insert into your rubber pipes) to give it the required thickness otherwise you will not be able to tighten the rubber pipes up enough to form a seal on 15mm pipe.
Hope that helps.
Currently working on my system and considering this approach to blanking the rear heater. Roy748 I’ll send a PM as I’ve a question
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:31 pm

Roy748 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:53 pm Hello.
Hope that helps.
Hello Roy.

Could you elaborate on 'copper pipe joiners'?

I will have a look under mine tomorrow and try and visualise your repair. If not I may have to find you in Kent and see how you have done it!
It can only be a matter of time before mine needs doing. I never use the the rear heater anyway, despite being a softie from the south.

The two caps with hose clips approach looks a lot simpler, is continuity of flow not essential, I wonder?

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:14 am

When the plastic slightly on my heater matrix broke I thought a new one was the only option. However my bongo friendly Polish mechanic said leave it with me I can repair. He did two or three years ago . Pm me if you think a trip to Chesterfield is worth keeping the rear heater functioning. No promises mind. A photo of what's left might help with a prognosis.yours Ian G.
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:22 am

Spiggot not slightly - bloody auto thingy. Ian G.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks fatcatlawyer. On mine the plasic spiggot has broken completly off. I'm doing the bypass trick and taking a new hose across the rear of the gearbox and joining onto the steel pipe on the passenger side. Having replaced the drivers side steel pipe with the T piece, I found the return steel pipe from the rear heater was also in a poor state. As I've a full side conversion I'm going to leave the rear heater where it is. Maybe I'll get at it if I ever have to remove the whole side unit.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:37 pm

I've a vague recollection that a generic metal replacement one can be got? :roll:
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:02 pm

mikeonb4c wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:37 pm I've a vague recollection that a generic metal replacement one can be got? :roll:
There is, but the drivers side was really difficult to fit, looking at the pipe that runs over the gearbox I don't think it can be done without a lot of dismantling.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:14 pm

Hello Frank

What I mean by pipe joiner is sold at wickes as
Wickes Solder Ring Straight Coupling - 15mm Pack of 5

Product Code: 424886

I used these to give the extra thickness the 15mm pipe required in order to form a seal with the original rubber pipes feeding the heater matrix.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:26 pm

thank you, Roy.

I will check that out with Wickes.

Meanwhile, I had a quick look underneath and no immediate sign of trouble but it is as well to gather some bits and pieces and also visualise the job in anticipation.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism

Return to “Techie Stuff”