AFT Not Going Up

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

James6666
Junior Bongonaut

AFT Not Going Up

Post by James6666 » Mon May 07, 2018 4:34 pm

Hello All,

I've read through all of the threads I could find on here related to the issue and this is where I'm up to.

The Bongo is in park, handbrake on, engine running.

I press the button, the control board beeps at me, the dash lights dim, the roof light comes on, click the lock/cancel button.... and the roof doesn't move. So I located the AFT control module/board, checked the +ve power connection in it and with the engine running got 13.4v, so I'm assuming that's not where the issue lies. I then proceeded to unplug the 4-pin connector and attempt to jump it, at this point I was blessed with a second or two long click sort of noise (like latches locking/unlocking), however I don't believe there are any latches, anyway after this nothing happens, except some sparks and smoke from the connector where I'm jumping it. Jump the connector the other way to run the motors the other way and it makes the same click/spark/smoke. Looking at the AFT outside while I do this there is no movement, I have run a card round the whole roof (where it meets the metal) and the only places the card stick is the front two corners, should I admit defeat and find a bongo friendee garage to take a look or is there something I have missed.

I haven't tried assisting the roof in it's movement as I am unsure which way to push/pull it.

Thanks for the help so far those who input and created the other AFT threads.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: AFT Not Going Up

Post by Bob » Mon May 07, 2018 5:35 pm

Hi, and welcome to BF. 8)

You don't need to press the 'unlock' button to raise the roof, just to lower it. I'm not sure if that would stop it raising though.

It's possibly the switch contacts, I'm sure Geoff has done a video on how to remove it and claean them up. Fairly simple job. :wink:
James6666
Junior Bongonaut

Post by James6666 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:42 pm

Thanks for the reply,
Yeah it wasn't working whether I pressed the lock/cancel button or not, was just pressing anything in desperation :lol:
I'll have a look at cleaning the contacts and get back to you. Cheers
James6666
Junior Bongonaut

Post by James6666 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:11 pm

I've just taken out the switch and cleaned the contacts, they did seem okay though. The only thing of note is the switch has 4 output prongs and the socket for it only has 3 metal connectors and 3 wires coming out of it, I assume this is normal but thought it was worth the ask, I have taken pictures and tried to attach them but couldn't get the size small enough. Roof still isn't working but appreciating the help, also gives me another job to clean the blind switches
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon May 07, 2018 8:30 pm

Probably a standard switch used in other applications so I wouldn't worry about the extra pin.

Good luck. 8)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue May 08, 2018 3:48 pm

If your dashboard lights are dimming, then that would suggest a significant voltage drop from the battery - either a flat battery or poor connection - do you have problems starting ? Do the dashboard lights dim when you put the headlights on with out the engine running ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
James6666
Junior Bongonaut

Post by James6666 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:04 pm

I'll take a look at the batteries but I've had no issue starting, checking the lights with the engine off, there is a very very minor change in the brightness of the dash lights but barely noticeable, I called up 321away and they suggested it sounded like a motor but I would like to make sure I've checked everything first just incase I can save myself a little bit of money [-o<
Thanks for the help
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue May 08, 2018 4:13 pm

If the lights don't dim with the headlights that would suggest stalling AFT motors something jamming them. Most frequent cause is corroaion products internally, there is a factsheet in the members area on how to clean them up again.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
James6666
Junior Bongonaut

Post by James6666 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:21 pm

I'll take a look when I get back I do mean to join to have a look at all these much talked about fact sheets, just to confirm when you say, clean thwm up again do you refer to the motors, just I get the vibe they are a right bugger to get to with the roof stuck closed.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue May 08, 2018 4:51 pm

Yes the motors, you need to get the roof up to access the motors easily, there are other methods - but NOT simple! - If it is corrosion, try the following operate the Up/Down switch a LOT of times (50-100) this causes the motors to swing to and fro and will sometimes clear enough of the corrosion out of the way to start to lift the roof - if this starts to work, lower the roof again - don't go the full way up, it may jam again, read up the cleaning instructions, wait for a good day and then go the whole way, prop the roof and then you can remove and clean up.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Hartley
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Hartley » Tue May 15, 2018 3:13 pm

James 666 - you said in your recent post you had contacted 321 away - I was told today they are no longer trading - do you have a contact number for them please?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue May 15, 2018 4:09 pm

They appear to have changed hands a couple of times over the last year currently this company appears to be them https://lakesidecamperconversions.co.uk/ no idea if they have the same staff or knowledge ....
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
James6666
Junior Bongonaut

Post by James6666 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:32 pm

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get any emails. Yeah I contacted 321away and bongomad 321away quoted £300+Parts, bongomad £425+Parts (if I removed the headlining myself. Anyway I joined the club and paid the subs, had a look at the helpsheet which has been pretty useful I might see if I can add some pictures to it though, anyway I need to locate 14 bolts in the roof I have found 10 but there should be 2 pair at the back of the van I think I've found them but if I post a picture could someone please confirm I am looking the the right thing please :D .

Regards to 321away, bongomad said they were very cheap and there was a chance they hadn't done the job before.

But I've decided I'm going to give it a go at home f*** it up and then ask the garage very kindly to fix it and apologize a lot for being a pain I mean let's hope I do it all without issue [-o< .
James6666
Junior Bongonaut

Post by James6666 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:40 pm

The bolts I am questioning are the 2 pair which can be seen at the top of the picture here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/li8cyYjs9JQjica82

Just want to double check before the bongo falls apart as the wrong bolt gets removed :lol:
James6666
Junior Bongonaut

Post by James6666 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:17 pm

Right so I feel as though I must be missing something here I lifted up the back of the roof after undoing the correct 14 nuts (in the picture above I'm looking at the wrong ones) and it felt as though only the back was lifting and the front of the roof was jammed shut. I eventually got it up enough to just get my hand in but couldn't work out how to get the plastic covers off the motors, do they just pull off? At this point it was raining and getting dark so I packed it up for the night and tried to bring the roof back down... At which point the rear two 12mm bolts didn't line up with their holes and as a result I can't get the roof down... It's like the whole roof could do with a knock 1mm backwards. Does anyone know where I'm going so horribly wrong as this is causing a bit more grief than I hoped. :oops:

Return to “Techie Stuff”