New owner - Starting issues....

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Tobybongo
Junior Bongonaut

New owner - Starting issues....

Post by Tobybongo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:30 pm

Hi, Purchased my first bongo last month, shes an automatic 1997 2.5TD 2WD. Very happy overall with the condition etc.

However, a few days after I got it home it started to get an intermittent starting fault, in which I turned the key, all lights come on as normal, glow plug light then goes out and I hear the starter motor solenoid click but it won't even turn over. Every now and then....completely randomly it will start. Once its started and been run it seems to start again straight away over and over.

Anyway I'll make a short list of what I've already done

- Battery voltage - 12.4 V average, so seems good. Cleaned both terminals.
- Earth lead from -ve to wing is good, earth from chassis to engine connections cleaned up but found part of the outer rubber sheath had worn through to the core, taped come in case (can always fit a new one)
- Replaced the original heavy duty starter for a 2nd hand regular one from bongo spares..still no luck so replaced the contacts and plunger.
- Tried Jump starting, no luck
- Tried using jump lead from -ve to Engine to rule out earth issues, no luck.
- Wiggled gear selector/tried in neutral while starting.

Any advice would be massively appreciated as I need it as my 2nd vehicle and to go camping in!! So frustrating seeing it sat there everyday!

Thanks in advance bongoers!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: New owner - Starting issues....

Post by g8dhe » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:50 pm

Are you sure its the Starter motor solenoid that is clicking, and not the relay that connects the battery to the starter motor ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Tobybongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tobybongo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:01 pm

Yes certain. I had the passenger seat off with cover open to make sure I could hear it clearly.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:47 am

have you tested it with a known good battery or had the existing batt drop/load tested. it could be reading 12 plus volts but have no amps
Billybongo123
Bongolier

Post by Billybongo123 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:50 am

Check for a good connection to both terminal 30 (batt live) and terminal 50 (exciter) of starter. Earth's and exciter might be okay but main cable might have a high resistance. That could be why it can't fully engage and then rotate.
We love our rusty Bongo "Billy", despite his many faults!
Tobybongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tobybongo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:20 am

Northern Bongolow wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:47 am have you tested it with a known good battery or had the existing batt drop/load tested. it could be reading 12 plus volts but have no amps
No I haven't tested with a good battery. Would jumping from another vehicle not rule that out? As I tried that and no luck. Also when it does decide to start it fires up instantly..assumed that the battery was fine. Thanks.
Tobybongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tobybongo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:22 am

Billybongo123 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:50 am Check for a good connection to both terminal 30 (batt live) and terminal 50 (exciter) of starter. Earth's and exciter might be okay but main cable might have a high resistance. That could be why it can't fully engage and then rotate.
Hi, cleaned up both bath terminals. Is terminal 50 one of the two on the starter? I've had them off a couple of times and appear good. Can I use a multimeter to check the resistance of the main cable? I have one but limited knowledge on using it sadly. Thanks.
Billybongo123
Bongolier

Post by Billybongo123 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:49 am

Tobybongo wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:22 am
Billybongo123 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:50 am Check for a good connection to both terminal 30 (batt live) and terminal 50 (exciter) of starter. Earth's and exciter might be okay but main cable might have a high resistance. That could be why it can't fully engage and then rotate.
Hi, cleaned up both bath terminals. Is terminal 50 one of the two on the starter? I've had them off a couple of times and appear good. Can I use a multimeter to check the resistance of the main cable? I have one but limited knowledge on using it sadly. Thanks.
Yes it's the small one. Do you have an old screw driver? Short the big positive on starter briefly to the smaller connection. If it cranks every time there's your issue.

Multimeter should give less than 2 ohms on both wires from end to end, but it's a pain to test without an assistant etc.

Have you got a test light? If you have the little wire to starter should light it up as you turn key. So earth one side and use the terminal 50 wire to other side of test light or s bulb etc. That checks itbfor current under load.
We love our rusty Bongo "Billy", despite his many faults!
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:05 pm

wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:12 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-BONGO- ... aLg6A8kzew

sorry thats better as you get a new plunger as well
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:36 pm

Might sound stupid but does the vehicle have an Immobiliser.

Take Care
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:43 pm

my wife years ago got a very expensive alarm removed from my ex bongo

and all that it needed was one of the contacts,the one on positive side was erroded to the point it was as thin as a fag paper
Tobybongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tobybongo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:05 pm

wonkanoby wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:12 pm https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-BONGO- ... aLg6A8kzew

sorry thats better as you get a new plunger as well
Hi, plunger and contacts have already been replaced..thanks.
Tobybongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tobybongo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:05 pm

teenmal wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:36 pm Might sound stupid but does the vehicle have an Immobiliser.

Take Care
Hi, no immobiliser on the vehicle.. :(
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:00 pm

Given that your certain the solenoid is operating OK then if you have a meter, try measuring the voltage between the case of the starter itself and the and the main power feed connector (large bolted connector) it should read full battery voltage when not operating and should be greater than 11 volts whilst actually cranking, if the voltage falls then suspect poor connections either the earth connection via the case or the main power feed - bear in mind that the main power feed is always live and can handle LOTS of Amps so take care when testing and disconnect the batteries whilst checking and tightening the connectors at both the battery and starter ends!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”