Bongo v6 rattle and clatter

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo v6 rattle and clatter

Post by Bob » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:47 pm

I'd be speaking to Trading Standards.

If you're not a motor trader writing that on the invoice is likely to count for little, and possibly ask for a free half hour with a solicitor.

Just possible the threat of Trading Standards may produce a refund, and then there's your local press... :evil:
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:40 am

It looks like a Sold as Seen vehicle Deal and if the invoice was "" he wrote trade sale on the receipt and no warranty given."" and the buyer accepted these conditions it looks like the Dealer is covered.Has the buyer contacted the dealer and if so what was the outcome.?

Take Care.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:23 am

Any vehicle sold by a dealer should be fit for purpose. See here https://theusedcarguy.co.uk/car-scams/s ... think-not/

And this link https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/

I’d reject the vehicle, ask for full refund.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:42 am

I agree and it is all covered in the pdf link I posted above.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Katka
Bongolier

Post by Katka » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:13 am

Sorry to hear about another bad experience after buying a 'van. It seems to be happening rather more frequently than it did, or is it just my imagination?
For my sins, I used to have dealings with Insurers/ Solicitors/ Claimants and the courts system. Once the legal route is started it tends to take control and forget what is really wanted - a repair or settlement of some kind. A dealer be well aware of where the problem may end up and may come to an agreement with you that you would take forever if you go straight down the legal route. Courts are also respectful of the fact if you have attempted to settle yourself first, I found. MIL's guidance paper is very useful and spot on, as such use the points in your discussions with the seller.
Did you by chance pay with a credit card? Even the deposit? If so the credit card company are the next people you should contact. They are jointly liable under the Consumer Credit Act. see which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/section-75-of-the-consumer-credit-act. Especially now you can't be charged more for using a credit card, all purchases should be made using one. This is a really powerful tool for consumers.

Don't think of your Bongo as an £8k paperweight. What you have is a bongo with an engine problem - like many on this forum :(
Unless you return it to the dealer, annoying though it is, and extra hassle for you, get the engine fixed and you'll have a wonderful time. Hopefully you'll not be out of pocket for the repairs then you'll have a great 'van for years to come.

ps. If you do manage to return it to the dealer, so they can't just try to sell it on to another unsuspecting person, post the registration number, so other buyers might spot it and not have the same problem.
Billybongo123
Bongolier

Post by Billybongo123 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:07 am

Thanks for all your support guys, I've printed off that advise so thanks very much. I'm speaking to dealer on Monday.

I other news, ive bought a smashed v6 Bongo for parts. It runs and drives so hopefully for about a grand I'll be up and running and have some spares. 😂😂

This wasn't the idea. Love all the support youth guys have given me though. Means a lot. Thanks
We love our rusty Bongo "Billy", despite his many faults!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:43 am

I'm pretty sure dealers can't use 'sold as seen' any more.

A genuine sale to another trader is different, but a warranty is now a legal requirement, plus you have 30 days to reject the goods.

Personaly I would go that route, but that is just my view. :wink:

https://www.confused.com/buying/tips-fo ... a-used-car
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:05 pm

Flanners wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:42 am I agree and it is all covered in the pdf link I posted above.
Agreed - I’d not read the pdf. Hopefully this Bongo can be fixed/rejected. There are plenty of good ones out there.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:57 pm

:D All good
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Billybongo123
Bongolier

Post by Billybongo123 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:22 pm

I'll let you know how I get on with dealer tomorrow.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Billybongo123 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:22 pm I'll let you know how I get on with dealer tomorrow.

Hope the outcome was in your favour , good luck.

Take Care
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:55 pm

Really gutted for you, was by chance the oil over full. The same happened to my brother in bradford. Got as far as the border of scotland and clatter clang that was that.

If he is a registered trader he has to honor a 30 warranty minimum.
hope it goes well and in failing that like you said you have another bongo with plenty spare parts :D
Bongology, the study of all things bong. The bongologist. :shock:
Billybongo123
Bongolier

Post by Billybongo123 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:19 am

Hey everyone

Trader has been talking to us finally, and in other news, sent us a letter trying to get out of any responsibly basically. Stating the trade sale means we opted out of any warranty. I argued that we are just normal members of public with no trade company etc etc and it's in my wife's name on v5 etc. So still fighting at the moment.

Citizens advise have been helpful and we are sending a letter and 3 quotes to give him an idea of repair cost.

See how it goes, stressful isn't the word. Didnt need this at all.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:12 am

Did you actually take a discount on the vehicle in return for a no Warranty deal?, and if so is this on the invoice.
It would probably be better for you to consult Trading Standards .

Take Care
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:01 pm

I'm not sure the warranty issue isn't a red herring. I'd have thought the point of the law is to protect people regardless of warranty against those who provide goods that are clearly not fit for purpose. It could be worth consulting a solicitor with a view to sending a solicitors letter. Seems to me this dealer needs dealing with!

P.S.No doubt you're doing your own googling but i see this issue has been run foul of by others:

https://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthread. ... our-rights

One thing it seems is what you might have signed. Did the dealer make it clear that you were signing to agree it was a trade sale?

Return to “Techie Stuff”