coolant type and colour 2.0 petrol

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

knpenny
Bongolier

coolant type and colour 2.0 petrol

Post by knpenny » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi there does anyone know what colour and/or type should be used for the 2.0 petrol.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. and how many litres should i use also. thanks

and dont worry i will be checking all hoses and i will be using rad flush too. Cant seem to find the colour and/or type. :oops: [-o<
Bongology, the study of all things bong. The bongologist. :shock:
Roy748
Bongolier

Re: coolant type and colour 2.0 petrol

Post by Roy748 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:45 pm

Hello.
Not sure I know if I am using the right coolant but I have used the green one in my 2.0ltr petrol, which according to the bottle mixes with any other coolant. My system was leaking and have subsequently refilled it using 4 litres of this coolant. Although mine was green initially I believe. All seems OK.
Maybe someone will know exactly which type to use
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:19 pm

If your flushing the entire system then most people go for a Red 5 year coolant these days.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:55 pm

Hi thanks for the reply. I managed to find a post on here and it went into great detail about coolant. It basically said you should know in advance the coolant you are using and that there is usually a label telling you what kind to use on your coolant resevoir. Long story short mine doesn't have one :| soo i'm gonna play safe and super flush the system (there's a great video on youtube on how to do this) https://youtu.be/s--5ft5YiHg. That way there's no chance of gelling [-X

Add coolant flush, drive 200 miles or so to let the agent work, remove fluid, remove thermostat (optional) probably wont need to do that with the 2.0 as she warmsup nicely, add water to radiator and resevoir and more coolant flush agent, warm engine(drive around a bit) with heater on to clean the heater matrix too, remove fluid and repeat with just water until it comes out clean then which may be 2-4 times (with the advice from the forum) find a g12+ coolant 50:50 mix and fill to desired levels.
Not sure how much coolant goes in the 2.0 but i will have a fairly good idea after the first flush or 2. \:D/

To be honest the video in the link was very good and detailed everything very well, however, he said to use distilled water to do this but i think i will use demineralised water as distilled water is slightly acidic and could cause the internal cooling system to corrode more quickly. :roll:

So when i return from scotland to france, i will change .... timing belt and water pump, with gaskets pulley and tensioner, both accessory belts and that bloody ac pulley, the rocker gasket along with the inlet gasket, all filters, engine oil, coolant super flush (will do that first step prior to all work) gearbox oil, gearbox sump and filter clean (filter with petrol), spark plugs, diff oil, brake oil purge and i think for good measure i will change the thermostat while doing the coolant (although mine works)
be honest i cant wait to get stuck in but i need the bloody weather to change and hopefully around the beginning to middle of april. O:)
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:26 am

Hello.
I have just checked my owners manual for the Bongo friendee 1995 - 2006 and it states for the gasoline vehicle under coolant -
Recommended replacement time every 2 years
Amount 13 litres
Recommended fluid - genuine long life coolant.
Hope that helps
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:30 am

I have topped my system up with Prestone coolant/antifreeze.
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:44 pm

Got coolant today 15lts of, G12+ grade pink/red colour but will be flushing the entire system. It is a long life type too 150000kms or 5 years, but i am a bit manic when it comes to car maintainance so all fluids will be every 2 years except engine oil which will be every year.

Thanks for all the feed back i hope it helps others out also. Gotta keep the bongos rolling wherever they are eh? :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:24 pm

If you have a low coolant alarm remember the 5 year coolant can coat the screws resulting in false alarms.

Simple matter to clean them with a wire brush. :wink:
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:10 pm

Dont think i have a coolant alarm but if i did where would it be located?

thanks for the tip
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:35 pm

You would have a LED on the dash somewhere and a screw, possibly two, with a wire in the header tank.

The quality ones 'self test' so you would hear a 'chirp' and the LED would come on for a second when you switch on. :wink:

Do have a search for them on here and you'll see. Only my view, but vital on a diesel, important on a V6, well worth it on a 2ltr. 8)
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:59 pm

Thanks again for the good advice bob, am on it like a bongo bonnet :oops: sorry bout the expression, whooever, I definitely havent got one so i think i will install it at the same time as the coolant purge timing belt etc etc etc cos there's much refreshing once i get back from scotland.

hopefully the weather will be a bit better too [-o<

Will keep you posted on all that comes in the very near future. Also was reading on the water pump factsheet that torque settings are between 19-24nm. Do you know if this applies to the 2.0 as well as the v6's?

thanks again. hopefully get a chance to meet yous all at the up and coming bongobash in june.

kind regards. the Bongologist :shock:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:39 pm

Don't know those torque settings I'm afraid, hopefully someone will. :)
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:09 pm

funny stuff, just went out to the bongo today to measure for the low coolant alarm and noticed a strange sound which wasnt there on the weekend, sooooo glad i ordered the timing kit with water pump cos its the water pump on its way to not being very functional.

really cant wait to get stuck in now, also gave the thermostat a quick check and the gasket dont look so pretty, good job i got one of those too :D

thanks again for the advice about the coolant alarm, top tip it was =D>
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:03 pm

And coolant alarm ordered too :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”