Broken Roof

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

JUCanterbury
Apprentice Bongonaut

Broken Roof

Post by JUCanterbury » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:09 pm

Morning all,
Driving down the motorway yesterday when the front of my roof tore off and broke into a thousand pieces. Tried uploading a picture but can't seem to manage it atm? It is a manual pop up roof and that part is fine, it is what i think is meant to be the front aerodynamic section which has torn away. No idea why it happened, as in rot, design fault etc. But now the question is how do I go about fixing this? Is there a part i can get from a breakers yard maybe and from the looks it is just some wooden board holding it on?

Think I have sussed the picture issue: Image

Thank-you
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Broken Roof

Post by g8dhe » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:24 pm

On the added pop up roofs they just stick a plastic wind break on with tape and normally silkaflex or similar, sounds like the convertor didn't do a good job or used the wrong bonding material which has perhaps failed in the low temperatures. I think I would have a word with the original convertors as several of them have changed/improved designs as the failings become apparent :-(
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:28 pm

Agree with Geoff.

That looks like an after market roof so the supplier should be able to supply and fit a new part.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:29 pm

Looks similar to the retro fitted pop top that we have on our Bongo. Try some of the converters to see if they have replacements. I'll PM you with details of who converted out van. Not adding them here as it might be implied they were responsible for you van - which we can't say.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:10 pm

I've read of this happening before. Its disturbing that it can happen as the consequences for road safety could be very serious. If its possible to trace the installer, i think it should be impressed upon them that this more than just a stick-it-on-whatever item. MOT testers need perhaps to be aware also? :roll:
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:37 pm

You'd be surprised how much stuff on modern cars relies on a bit of glue :roll:

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/company-u ... 847&rt=rud
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:41 pm

TheLongRoad wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:37 pm You'd be surprised how much stuff on modern cars relies on a bit of glue :roll:

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/company-u ... 847&rt=rud
Indeed. I think what surprises me most (or perhaps it doesnt!) is how there is no process (MOT or whatever) for checking stuff like this. I wonder what the insurance/who gets sued situation is if something serious happens. :?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:42 pm

Its the drivers responsibility to insure that the vehicle is in a safe condition and not a danger to others. The Insurance Companies will wash their hands of a situation like this. Was the Insurance Company informed in detail of this extensive Modification to this particular vehicle ?.

Take Care.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:20 pm

teenmal wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:42 pm Its the drivers responsibility to insure that the vehicle is in a safe condition and not a danger to others. The Insurance Companies will wash their hands of a situation like this. Was the Insurance Company informed in detail of this extensive Modification to this particular vehicle ?.

Take Care.
However.....it would be interesting to know whether the relevant authorities are taking an interest in (lack of) industry standards. A (non technical) driver might reasonably expect that components like this are affixed so as to be unlikely to fall off. But maybe i'm just old fashioned. :roll:
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:39 pm

The problem there is, the deflector could have been removed for some reason and then poorly refitted. Usually when an owner is washing his vehicle they notice these things, unless they use a car wash. :(

Take Care..
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:44 pm

JUCanterbury wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:09 pm Morning all,
Driving down the motorway yesterday when the front of my roof tore off and broke into a thousand pieces. Tried uploading a picture but can't seem to manage it atm? It is a manual pop up roof and that part is fine, it is what i think is meant to be the front aerodynamic section which has torn away. No idea why it happened, as in rot, design fault etc. But now the question is how do I go about fixing this? Is there a part i can get from a breakers yard maybe and from the looks it is just some wooden board holding it on?

Think I have sussed the picture issue: Image

Thank-you
it looks like a "Drivelodge Elevating Roof", have a good look about the roof for any clues as to the supplier or installer. Also worth looking through any documentation you may have for any relevant certification re the roof.

Take Care
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:59 pm

The Drivelodge covers the whole width of the van. The type in the photo is narrower than the van plus opens high at rear.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:23 pm

More like these http://www.imperialcar.co.uk/in_stock/2 ... silver_31/. Not implying or suggesting that the original posters vehicle was supplied or converted by Imperial- others use same pop top.

Return to “Techie Stuff”