Green keyhole light

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Stevebullock
Apprentice Bongonaut

Green keyhole light

Post by Stevebullock » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:00 pm

Hello,
I've just bought my first mazda bongo. All is great apart from I've just been out to start it and it's got a flat battery. I've noticed that the green light above the ignition keyhole remains on all of the time. Is this normal and would it be enough to drain the battery over a period of a week?
Thanks in advance

Steve
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Green keyhole light

Post by g8dhe » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:13 pm

Are you sure its all the time? Its on a Timer which means it stays on when exiting the van for a minute or so, and comes back on as soon as the locks are released on the drivers door same as the cabin light in the front.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Stevebullock
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Stevebullock » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:31 pm

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your reply. It stays on all of the time. I've checked when the vehicle is locked at different times of day. There are no other cabin lights that stay on. Would it be enough to drain the battery? I don't know how old the battery is, or its condition as I've only had the Bongo for two weeks.

Cheers
Steve
Winnie-bongo
Bongonaut

Post by Winnie-bongo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:09 am

As Geoff says it should switch off after about 30 seconds after leaving the vehicle, as I have taken the feed from mine and connected it to the interior lights to give them the same delay.
Do your interior lights work properly, on and off with the door switches?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:16 am

The bulb power isn't listed so difficult to

suggest what current its drawing the normal Ignition of drain is around the 50mA level, but can rise higher than this depending on what is fitted, remote key fobs, radio's etc which all draw backup current when switched off, my usual approach is anything above 50mA current drawn is to identify what is drawing current first and then decide if its too much. However this is the time of year when a failing battery is going to show up so I would measure the voltages and currents with a meter before deciding what route to take.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Stevebullock
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Stevebullock » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:31 pm

Thanks Geoff,
I've got the battery on charge. I'll check voltages and currents once I've got it back on the van.
Steve

Return to “Techie Stuff”