V6 excessively high idle

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

baosmith
Apprentice Bongonaut

V6 excessively high idle

Post by baosmith » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:49 am

Morning all, can anyone help me with my V6 engine issues please ? It started a while back when I came off the motorway after a good run and slowing down for a roundabout noticed the gearbox would not go down to bottom gear because the engine was still revving. Coming to a standstill and putting it into neutral it would rev around 1700 for a few seconds then go down to normal. After that it would behave normally for a while but some miles later the same thing could happen again. It only seemed to be when it was nice and warm.

Now the weather is colder I've noticed the opposite happening. On cold startup the idle wants to be above 2000 for a couple of miles then it will drop down to around 1500 til properly warmed up, then it drops to normal.

It's annoying mainly because of the excess brake pressure required to bring the bongo to a standstill, I guess potentially dangerous in an emergency situation too.

Any guidance gratefully appreciated

thanks
Daniel
Billybongo123
Bongolier

Re: V6 excessively high idle

Post by Billybongo123 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:26 pm

Check for air leaks on inlet side first and also throttle cable and linkage for correct adjustment. There are lots of little vac pipes on these engines that could come adrift or leak. This will raise idle slightly. Cheers
We love our rusty Bongo "Billy", despite his many faults!

Return to “Techie Stuff”