Over-filled with oil? Help?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

TonyW
Bongonaut

Over-filled with oil? Help?

Post by TonyW » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Hi all,

I'm not hugely motor-engineer experienced and think I may have just screwed up.

We have a 1996 Petrol V6 Auto. I checked, what I thought, was the oil dipstick and it seemed low. This was accessed under the passenger seat, near the front of the engine block with a yellow top.

I then added 1ltr of oil via the filler cap below the drivers seat .... and then just as I finished I noticed a dipstick right by the filler cap! This is the engine oil dipstick isn't it??

I think the one I first checked was the auto transmission dipstick?

Can some one confirm ... and .... is it a BIG problem if there is a 1ltr too much oil in the engine?

FYI, it's going into County Cars (Portslade) on Saturday for cam-belt change and oil seal replacements.

I feel like a bit of a "dipstick" myself :(

Thanks in advance.

Tony.
Flanners
Bongolier

Re: Over-filled with oil? Help?

Post by Flanners » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:53 pm

Depends how much your litre has topped up what was already in the sump. What is the reading on the actual oil dipstick now? If it is a few mm's/up to a cm over I would not be too concerned and would personally drive it to the workshop for it's appointment given they can rectify the situation whilst they work on it. Failing that you could let a bit out via the sump plug (when cool) or use a PELA. Given it is this Saturday and one drive there I would if it is not too badly over filled drive it to the workshop.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
TonyW
Bongonaut

Post by TonyW » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:01 pm

Checked again. Being very clean oil it's quite difficult to make out the level but looks about 10mm above full.

Wife needs it for the rest of the week.

Does anyone know how accessible the drain plug is, do I have to remove the shielding/trays ??
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:06 pm

Personally with a cm/10mm above I would drive it without a worry
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:24 pm

There are TWO dipsticks on all engine types, the dipstick under the driver is for the Automatic Transmission (NOT the engine).
The dipstick under the passenger seat is the engine oil dipstick for all engines.
The oil filling point for a V6 is the one under the Drivers seat, on a diesel its under the passenger seat.

The ATF oil level has to be measured when the engine is hot and running, not cold or switched off!!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
TonyW
Bongonaut

Post by TonyW » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:50 pm

Geoff,

That is very helpful. It appears I was correct the first time.

Reason I'm checking the oil is we have an oil seal leak, hence the cambelt and seals being done this weekend.

I thought I'd check the level to ensure its not too low.

We had a diesel before and the dipstick was under the passenger seat on same side as filler.

So, to be 100% ..... the black topped dipstick under the driver seat of this petrol V6 is the ATF and the smaller yellow topped one under passenger seat is for engine oil?

Correct?

Many thanks.

Tony.
TonyW
Bongonaut

Post by TonyW » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:09 pm

Geoff,

You are officially a "supreme being".

Thanks for your wise words and you've confirmed I'm not quite as daft as I thought.

Late night oil drain averted!

Tony.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:14 pm

Yes the ATF dipstick is always under the drivers seat and the engine oil dipstick is always under the passenger seat.
Get them to check the state of the alternator as well, as leaks from the cam seals causes the oil to cover the alternator which then causes the alternator to overheat several months/year down line.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”