Gearbox of Death

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Ewanyengi
Apprentice Bongonaut

Gearbox of Death

Post by Ewanyengi » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:04 pm

P reg 2.5D auto 4wd...had pin hole in auto fluid cooling pipe heading out to rad....pieced the pipe and got fluid levels ok and no leak now but have no reverse gear. Was thinking clutch but read alacrity saying 1st and reverse would be affected? Bizarrely now when its in park the press button on the shift doesnt pop out as if the cable isnt lined up. When i move through gears even in neutral and park when i touch accelerator its wanting to go forward ( and would do but my shed is there so i stop it). I take it shifter cable is just wishfull thinking? My worry is ive cooked the box. Its wierd it will go forward but not reverse. Not sure if i should tow it out drive ( slight hill) and take for a run up and down gears.. to small for us now (4 of a family) and waz going to sell anyway. Looking like a 'project' for sumbody or brake for parts. Shame as nice van. Any ideas ? Im in scotland. Id sell engine etc if i cant fix. I dnt know if there is a separate level to check other than main box. Is that alacrity guy on here think hes the autobox man with the knowledge?
Anyway many thanks in advance
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Gearbox of Death

Post by teenmal » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:36 am

What part of Scotland.
Ewanyengi
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Ewanyengi » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:03 am

Oban. (About 2 hrs from glasgow)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:10 am

Sorry to hear your bad luck. :(

It will almost certainly be cost effective to repair then sell, and it's a real shame to brake a decent Bongo.

Bongo Spares supply and ship all parts and are well thought of here. :wink:
Alacrity
Tribal Elder

Post by Alacrity » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:59 pm

I am afraid you have cooked the forward clutch by driving it when it was slipping due to the low oil level & it is now seized on permanently, hence it now drives forwards in neutral. It can't reverse because forwards is on as well so it is locked.

Sorry but you are looking at a rebuild or another transmission.
35+ years working with autogearboxes - all day every day......for my sins
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:07 pm

They are breaking this one https://www.gumtree.com/p/van-trucks-pa ... 1284230311 and it's in Scotland.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Ewanyengi
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Ewanyengi » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:43 pm

Thanks bob, the long road and alacrity. Yes my own fault for not checki g levels until too late. It may be "a box of matches" shot. Incidentally if i was to try and sell it as it is or for parts what might i expect to get for it? I know the sensible thing would be to fix and sell but i dnt think what i put out on it would be re- couped. I have bought a bigger van which am converting now so it needs gone really. Shame because i really liked it but its just wee bit too small for the 4 of us anyway (dog as well now). Many thanks alacrity your diagnosis confirms my fears but will help me try and scrape together some ACCEPTANCE on the matter lol. I suppose you win some you lose some
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:51 pm

It's not possible to say what you'd get for it as a breaker, you could try E Bay or similar, or ask the breakers like Bongo Spares or Ian Taylor what they might offer.

Either of them are well placed to repair or break.

You'd likely get more if you sell all the parts yourself, but that's a lot of time and storage space until it's all gone. :?

Good luck. 8)
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:26 pm

Depends what the rest is like really. Can you Be bothered breaking it yourself? What to do with the bits that don’t sell? Get a secondhand box and sell as Runner- presumably she still has some MOT left? Other route would be for one of the garages mentioned to take away as a whole. Ebay etc will bring challenges. Just my thoughts.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Ewanyengi
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Ewanyengi » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:54 pm

I know your right i should. Mot till end of summer i think. Its just laying out more money on it and then if it goes pear shaped in some way. I might use the units inside for the new van the battery etc. And try and sell the thing for somebody looking for an engine. They may prefer to see it running sweetly before buying rather than one lying on the deck. Or unless somebody good with a spanner buys it as a "project". If i start butchering it then it may not be so desirable. Decent dairsie conversion too. Feck knows
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:09 pm

Why not e mail some pics to the above garages and see if they can give you a price for it?

At least you'll have a starting point for your decision. :wink:

This is a classic dilema with no one 'right' answer. You have to keep going round in the same circle, sadly. :?

Return to “Techie Stuff”