Diesel emissions at MOT time ?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

yorkshirelass
Tribal Elder

Diesel emissions at MOT time ?

Post by yorkshirelass » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:44 am

Hi all you clever and knowledgeable lot ! I’ve only just read about the change on MOT requirements FROM THIS YEAR ! Seems tha EMISSIONS are now to be taken into consideration ??? How does this leave us who have diesel vans ? Also, have I read somewhere that their is something that can be fitted to the exhaust system...somewhere..that helps to reduce the emissions ? If so, does all or most garages do this ? At what cost etc. If fitted.....would this assist in its passing new regs this year ? Am having a quiet panic here #-o #-o #-o
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Re: Diesel emissions at MOT time ?

Post by TheLongRoad » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:03 am

Volkswagon Dealers should be able to help.....sorry couldn't resist that one :mrgreen:

If your engine is well maintained and has been on a long run is should be ok. Modern cars have catalytic converters that are supposed to filter out particulates - I've no idea if these can be retro fitted to older diesels. I'll be interested to hear what others think.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
yorkshirelass
Tribal Elder

Post by yorkshirelass » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:58 am

What bothers me is that under the new mot rules, coming in in April 5his year, is that each vehicle will be graded as low, Medium or high. If it’s high.....it CANNOT LEAVE THE GARAGE WHERE THIS TAKES PLACE UNTIL ITS FIXED !!! Makes me think that some garages etc will try to take advantag3 of this to get more wor’ / money from us !?? Or am I being toooooo cynical ? Basically, they could tell us anything and peeps like me who know zilch about such matters, could be well and truly conned/ done over. I don’t know if there are any safeguards in place to prevent the possibility of this. Can someone who knows peeps at an mot plac3 find out more re our diesel gobbling motors ???
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:04 am

plonkatronix wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:25 am... maybe those with EGR blanking plates may wish to remove them for the MOT in case they are spotted
Is this certain? If the EGR is blanked off, and it's spotted, is it an automatic fail? Or will it depend on the emissions test?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:26 am

yorkshirelass wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:58 am What bothers me is that under the new mot rules, coming in in April 5his year, is that each vehicle will be graded as low, Medium or high. If it’s high.....it CANNOT LEAVE THE GARAGE WHERE THIS TAKES PLACE UNTIL ITS FIXED !!! Makes me think that some garages etc will try to take advantag3 of this to get more wor’ / money from us !?? Or am I being toooooo cynical ? Basically, they could tell us anything and peeps like me who know zilch about such matters, could be well and truly conned/ done over. I don’t know if there are any safeguards in place to prevent the possibility of this. Can someone who knows peeps at an mot plac3 find out more re our diesel gobbling motors ???
Many small garages take your car to an MOT garage - my local does as he doesn't have the money for the equipment himself. I can image many other small garages are in the same boat and therefore would think it unlikely that the MOT stations will want to keepp hold of vehicles that fail and MOT. Also, most folks take their vechicle for an MOT before the current one has expired - so it still has a current MOT even though it has just failed. I've not read the proposals so maybe you are in a better place than me to worry.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:02 pm

yorkshirelass wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:58 am If it’s high.....it CANNOT LEAVE THE GARAGE WHERE THIS TAKES PLACE UNTIL ITS FIXED !!!
Where did you read this ? Can you give a link as it sounds rather odd to me, not all MoT stations are garages where work can be carried out i.e. those run by councils etc.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
yorkshirelass
Tribal Elder

Post by yorkshirelass » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:36 pm

Am sorry, I’m no good at doing links :oops: but just type on mot 2018 and there are various links. Mayb3 you can make mor3 sense of these new rulings than I have. I suspect m6 bongo would ressult in a ..’high ‘ reading, so am really worried. Please prove me wrong !
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:55 pm

I suspect your talking about the Diesel Particulate Filters DPF ? These are not fitted on Bongo's so you can't fail!
As this link puts it its a nightmare for the testers as not all versions of vehicles need have them fitted http://garagewire.co.uk/news/mot-dpf-ch ... -confirms/
:-
Commenting on GW recently, technician David said: “DVSA really need to be clear about which vehicles are actually fitted with DPFs to ensure testers are also made properly aware of which vehicles they should be fitted to.
“DVSA have taken a back seat with the VMs and gaining technical information.

“It’s time they put their foot down and got it then pass it onto the test stations that need it to do the job correctly.

“I for one still don’t know which vehicles are supposed to be fitted with a DPF.

“I came across a Transit with no exhaust system on seeing only a tail pipe mounted at the exhaust manifold area, thinking that some clever trader had removed the DPF.

“I failed it, only to find later from Ford that they didn’t fit a DPF to that model of Transit.

“Testers have got the short straw here.”
Similar questions about fitting LED and HID lamps for headlights, legal if the entire headlamp unit is changed so that the correct reflector is used but illegal if LED/HID lamps are inserted into headlamp units designed for filament lamps.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:25 pm

TheLongRoad wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:26 am
yorkshirelass wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:58 am What bothers me is that under the new mot rules, coming in in April 5his year, is that each vehicle will be graded as low, Medium or high. If it’s high.....it CANNOT LEAVE THE GARAGE WHERE THIS TAKES PLACE UNTIL ITS FIXED !!! Makes me think that some garages etc will try to take advantag3 of this to get more wor’ / money from us !?? Or am I being toooooo cynical ? Basically, they could tell us anything and peeps like me who know zilch about such matters, could be well and truly conned/ done over. I don’t know if there are any safeguards in place to prevent the possibility of this. Can someone who knows peeps at an mot plac3 find out more re our diesel gobbling motors ???
Many small garages take your car to an MOT garage - my local does as he doesn't have the money for the equipment himself. I can image many other small garages are in the same boat and therefore would think it unlikely that the MOT stations will want to keepp hold of vehicles that fail and MOT. Also, most folks take their vechicle for an MOT before the current one has expired - so it still has a current MOT even though it has just failed. I've not read the proposals so maybe you are in a better place than me to worry.
beware.
if it is presented for mot with some left on the old one and it fails, it fails. it then has no mot and looses the bit left on the old one.
yorkshirelass
Tribal Elder

Post by yorkshirelass » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:34 pm

So, we are really no nearer knowing how this could affect our smoke/fuel blasting bongos ? I need to source the truth of this so will call into my local mot station and let you know what they say. The one I use, is as Ady says, used by many garages who do not have there own get up. I've seen lots of large vehicles there , so hopefully they will know the full picture.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:59 pm

I would recommend if you have the EGR blanked off don't tell them. :wink: (Pike)
yorkshirelass
Tribal Elder

Post by yorkshirelass » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:50 pm

Called in to the test staionfo4 advice re new mot stuff. Told that if no dfp....or whatever is mentioned above, that some have fitted, NO PROBLEM FOR BONGOS. if a that filter 5hing IS fitted, as long as it’s functioning properly, it should not b3 a problem if it’s not right then it can be sorted and the cost is around £80 ish. Hope this helps I’m smiling anyway :D :) :D :D :D :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”