jumping out of gear

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

rocketeeer
Bongonaut

jumping out of gear

Post by rocketeeer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:09 pm

10 miles from home (engine warm: always know when it's warm as the ignition light flashes, been doing this for 3 years with absolutely no engine problems). All was well until I had to stop at a roundabout.

Moving off, engine revved to 3000 before 1st engaged, and that set the tone for the rest of the road home: would engage briefly (but only at low revs) but then jump out. Got progressively worse: limped back to home at walking pace eventually, and couldn't get up incline of my driveway. Hold light not flashing. Transmission oil?

Also, accidentally tried to drive off with wheelclamp on the back wheel last Sunday. Scraped the wheelarch, but nothing else wrong...until now!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: jumping out of gear

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:53 pm

Googling 'autobox slipping out of gear' suggests low transmission oil is one - but only one - of the possible causes. Worth trying i guess and be sure to usr the right stuff and use correct procedure for checking levels.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:07 pm

Good point Bill. =D>

From memory Bongy must be running temp, cycle the selector a few times, and check with engine running.

Not the easiest, but hey ho. 8)
Alacrity
Tribal Elder

Post by Alacrity » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:17 pm

Dropping out of hear on cornering, pulling away & braking etc. are common symptoms of low oil level but will always be much more noticeable when vehicle is cold as the oil level naturally rises when it gets hot. Of course in this instance he clearly didn't have low oil level at the start of the journey but if it has developed a bad leak such as a cooler hose splitting then it could be his issue. If the oil level is OK then you are looking at internal hydraulic problems.
35+ years working with autogearboxes - all day every day......for my sins
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:34 pm

Thank you. =D>

Return to “Techie Stuff”