Front seats that fit

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bongo-Foz
Apprentice Bongonaut

Front seats that fit

Post by Bongo-Foz » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:58 am

Hello all, I'm currently doing some much needed work to my 1996 bongo. I was wondering what front seats can I fit into the bongo. I would love some captains front seats if possible. Is there any recommendations?
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Front seats that fit

Post by Bob » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:55 am

Hi, good to have you aboard. :)

New Dawn Conversions can modify the seats so that they turn 180 degrees, and (from memory). I think some peeps have fitted MX5 seats.

That combination may suit you. :wink:

http://www.newdawnconversions.co.uk/
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:30 am

Good morning bongo foz
I've fitted mx5 seats into mine from a 04 model ( mk 2.5 ) but any of the seats from a 90 - to a 05 will work .
To fit the passenger seat replace the mx5 outside runner for the bongo one , the drivers one is the same but you will have to move the inside runner In towards the middle of the seat 20 mm ,I made up a simple pair of 2 mm steel plates with holes drilled in them 20 mm apart centre to centre to allow for a bit of adjustment I drilled them 13mm then bolted these on ,one end to the seat and the other end to the runner .
For the seat belt retainer I used the mx5 one as its bolted to the seat but removed all the brackecty and simply bolted the retainer ditecty to the seat ( space isn't there for the brackets ) .
Mine are full black leather sports seats with a built in heater element which I hope to get wired up very soon ! They also come in various other materials etc from different models but they should all fit .
I got them from a very good mx5 breaker here in Ireland .
The only down side I can see is that they DONT fold down completly flat like the bongo seats do so can't be used as a bed .
In my opinion they are more comfortable them the bongo items and hold you in better as they are bucketed , getting in and out might be slightly easier in the bongo own seats as there flatter but it's marginal
I'll see if I can send on a photo of them as well
Brian
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:49 am

Hello again
I can't seem to be able to post photos from my iPad onto here ,image too large , if you would like photos pm me your email address and I can do it that way
Brian
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:59 pm

You could enquire about Alfa seats, someone might be interested in the Roller Brush.....

http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/180318/mazda-bongo

Take care
Bongo-Foz
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bongo-Foz » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:55 am

Thanks for the replies, I'm now thinking of having my original seats reupholstered with the modification of having armrests installed. Are there any recommendations for companies that may do this?
Winnie-bongo
Bongonaut

Post by Winnie-bongo » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:26 am

A comparison picture of MX5 seats and stock Bongo seats
Attachments
20210318_224709.jpg

Return to “Techie Stuff”