Bongo doctor needed in Ireland, North or South

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Izzy Bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Bongo doctor needed in Ireland, North or South

Post by Izzy Bongo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:05 pm

Finally got my Bongo back on the road five months ago after a long time laid up. Had persistent problems with losing water from a hard to find leak, so was topping up regularly, then disaster - a roadside meltdown and poor old Freda Bongo is off the road again :(

I was hopeful it might be the pump or the thermostat, as she really didn't get all that hot (not like a couple of years ago, when i had to find a new engine) but nope... the diagnosis has come back and in line with my worst fears, it's the head gasket :( :| :( My funds won't stretch to a new engine this time of year (if I could even find one, which is not that easy over here, where Bongos are few and far between.) My problem now is I can't find anyone to take on the work - nobody sees a 22 year old van as worth saving and everybody I've approached so far tells me replacing the head gasket probably won't work, won't last, will be a waste of time and money, blah, blah blah.

I really want to give it a shot before writing poor old Freda off. I'm in Ireland (South, but relatively close to the border.) Anybody know somebody in Ireland, North or South, who might undertake this work? Also any opinions on the gloomy prognosis I've been offered? I had already heard that Bongos are prone to this kind of trouble and I know the previous owner (I have her four and a half years) had replaced the head gasket - that's why I went for an engine the last time I had this problem. Seriously can't afford to do that this time (and, as I said, might have problems finding and transporting one anyway.)

I need to get back on the road ASAP. Freda is my only vehicle and I live in a rural area, more than 10 miles from the public transport that takes me to my distant work. Getting taxis at €30 a pop several times a week is not a viable option for long. :(

Very few Bongos over here, by the way. She gets a lot of attention and I love her to bits. My vehicle-mad 4 year old granddaughter is nuts about her too. I can't just let Freda die!
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo doctor needed in Ireland, North or South

Post by Bob » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Hi, and welcome to the Forum.

Really to sorry to hear of your problems. :(

There's loads on here regarding the cooling system and potential cylinder head problems with great emphasis on the need to bleed the system if the coolant drops below the header tank. The search facility will reveal all.

Short term it may be cheapest to buy an older car as a run about, that will remove the time pressure regarding the repair while you find a garage which understands Bongos.

This is vital for correct bleeding, as above.

I'm guessing you have the 2.5 diesel?

Also, Bongo Spares, Sowerby Bridge, will ship parts anywhere if needed.

Good luck. :)

Edit: Try putting 'Garage and Ireland' into the search box, the 'and' is important. There's several ideas pop up and you will know who is nearest. :wink:
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:39 pm

Search for user Merlot man on here. He's in Co Clare and had his cylinder head replaced last year.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Izzy Bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Izzy Bongo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:27 pm

Thanks for the helpful responses. Yes, a 2.5 diesel and I had been bleeding the system (what a pain in the ass!) pretty much every time I topped up. She was only losing a very small amount of water, but I was really trying not to put her under too much stress. I will contact the other forum user mentioned. Thanks again!
cutlass
Bongolier

Post by cutlass » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:29 pm

Izzy Bongo - delete termostat and open cap of cooling tank - if you bongo dont need more water and dont have more vapour from exahaust - you may carefully use it bus/////I use my bongo apr 2500 km during 3 month when wait new head////
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:48 pm

Has your bongo had the head replaced, then a new engine put in and now needs a second head replaced? There MUST be something wrong with your coolant system for you to have that much bad luck.

I have my van two years or so and bought it with the head replaced. IIRC the guy who did it was in Wexford, I think I still have the receipt from the previous owner, if you like I can pass it on?
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:41 pm

Hello izzy , I've sent on a PM to you
Brian
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:50 pm

It almost certainly won’t be the head gasket....it will be the head
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
lenny_mc
Junior Bongonaut

Post by lenny_mc » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:28 am

I am in a similar position to you, although I have someone to work on the frongo.

I am currently ordering the parts for a full head and am replacing as much of the coolant system asi can - I will let you know how it goes.

I live in Louth, so potentially not that far from you.

Return to “Techie Stuff”