Loss of coolant

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Loss of coolant

Post by teenmal » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:13 pm

Roy748 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:38 pm I am hopeful of picking up a replacement rear heater matrix next week at a reasonable price. I will then look at replacing the leaking unit, but I first need to read up on re gassing the system as I am not sure on how to replace the required oil in the system too. I have read about using ez chill but not enough to convince me it's possible to do myself.
I enjoy trying to educate and repair things myself but appreciate it might not be wise or possibly in all cases.

Sadly my rocker box gasket replacement is showing signs of leaking so I will be attempting this once more in the spring. Have since discovered I did not torque it down sufficiently so although it's an inconvenience I do know what to expect this time.
Re aircon,it might be advisable for you to have it professionally carried out, a few agents do a Recharge or No Charge deal.

Take care
cutlass
Bongolier

Post by cutlass » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:45 pm

"re gassing" - now i use that Image

for next - I try use "camping gas" (mix propan-butan) - it work too!!!!!! for bongo need apr 200gr Image
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:20 pm

Hello Cutlass
Thanks for your comment. Does this do the oil as well as gas? As due to replacing the rear heater matrix I will have a fully drained system so will need to add both oil and gas.
How easy was it to do? Can you offer a step by step guide.
Thanks
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:08 pm

Can some knowledgeable person please clarify a point for me. As mentioned I am looking to change the rear heater matrix which will involve regassing the ac unit. I have seen on line that bottles can be bought and adminstered with appropriate high pressure leads. My question is do you need to replace the oil? Reading up it appears the oil is for lubricating the compressor, which i believe is at the front of the vehicle. When removing the rear heater matrix do you lose any oil through either de gassing or disconnection of the two ac pipes to the heater. If no, then refitting and regassing is made a lot easier.
Maybe someone who has replaced the heater matrix can answer my question?
Thanks in advance
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:10 am

the proper way to work on the system is to vac empty the system first, whether you do this or not is up to you. :wink: .
then work on the system, then get the correct amount of gas and oil put in, this way at least you get new oil put in to look after your compressor.

some have used the diy fills but ive not heard of a successful one. part of the proper aircon job also does a vac test and pressure test on the system so you dont waste your new oil gas.
Sven
Bongonaut

Post by Sven » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:53 am

I tried using the EZ Chill from Halfrauds, but it didn’t really seem to work very well. Main problem was that I couldn’t tell when the system was pressurised correctly - the guage wasn’t good & didn’t move much, so I couldn’t tell if it had the correct amount. I couldn’t tell from the instructions whether to keep the bottle upright or turn it upside down. It seemed to fill better upside down but this may have been wrong. The oil was mixed with the gas but you’ve no way of knowing if the correct ratio of gas or oil is put in. There’s a £10 refundable deposit on the bottle (on top of the price) but a bottle supposedly does 3 refills - so the bottle sits in your garage until you can empty it to get your £10 back!
I wouldn’t bother using it again. Last time i needed a re-gas i took it to my local garage, they vacuum tested it before adding gas/oil so there was no charge unless the system was sealed.
Also the gas is rather nasty stuff, hence why the bottles have to be returned. You don’t want to be breathing it in or getting it on your skin!
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:34 am

Roy748 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:08 pm Can some knowledgeable person please clarify a point for me. As mentioned I am looking to change the rear heater matrix which will involve regassing the ac unit. I have seen on line that bottles can be bought and adminstered with appropriate high pressure leads. My question is do you need to replace the oil? Reading up it appears the oil is for lubricating the compressor, which i believe is at the front of the vehicle. When removing the rear heater matrix do you lose any oil through either de gassing or disconnection of the two ac pipes to the heater. If no, then refitting and regassing is made a lot easier.
Maybe someone who has replaced the heater matrix can answer my question?
Thanks in advance

Why do you need to Re gas the AC.

Take Care
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:55 am

Thanks Sven for your comments.
Teenmal I need to regass once I disconnect the ac pipes to the rear heater upon removal and refitting.
I like the idea of re gassing myself but I think it would be wise to have the system checked via a garage first for any leaks etc. As Bongolow mentioned having a garage check it will also address the oil for the compressor aspect too.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Having just spoke to my local garage who will charge me £55 for a vacuum, leak test and refill it's not really worth buying the tools, gas, oil etc to do it my self.
So I am now back to bypassing the rear heating matrix until I source a new one, plus the weather needs to warm up to be breaking out the spanners. Once new matrix is fitted I will have it checked out and re gassed by my local garage.

Big thanks to all those who have helped me with comments and information, whilst I ponderd as to what to do.. until next time.. thanks again.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:39 pm

668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:26 pm

Roy748 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:55 am Thanks Sven for your comments.
Teenmal I need to regass once I disconnect the ac pipes to the rear heater upon removal and refitting.
I like the idea of re gassing myself but I think it would be wise to have the system checked via a garage first for any leaks etc. As Bongolow mentioned having a garage check it will also address the oil for the compressor aspect too.

The AC pipes do Not connect to the Rear Heater matrix ...AC pipes go to AC , Heater pipes go to the Heater.

Unless you want HOT and Cold running water. :lol: :lol:

Take Care.
cutlass
Bongolier

Post by cutlass » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:52 pm

teenmal-befor remove rear heater matrix him need disconnect AC-pipe.......or it dont will be remove/// :o heater matrix and AC-matrix remove together////how dont do it - i dont know :(
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:41 am

teenmal wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:26 pm
Roy748 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:55 am Thanks Sven for your comments.

The AC pipes do Not connect to the Rear Heater matrix ...AC pipes go to AC , Heater pipes go to the Heater.

Take Care.
cutlass
Bongolier

Post by cutlass » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:25 pm

you may remove only that part Image/////// for it remove - need disconnect AC-pipe////// may be octopus dont must do it!....... :)
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:40 pm

Hello Cutlass
Thanks for your post, I was aware that I needed to disconnect the ac pipes as you stated. I am not sure teemal is truly aware of the procedure.

Return to “Techie Stuff”