First post and warning light question

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

eelblady
Junior Bongonaut

First post and warning light question

Post by eelblady » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi all

I loitered a little while before I bought my Bongo (2000 2.5 diesel 4wd auto with AFT and side conversion) a couple of months ago and then joined up properly when she arrived. Since then I've been trawling the members area learning as much as I can - so much great info in there and on the public sections - many thanks to all who have contributed!

I was wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction on an intermittent problem I'm having with the scavenger fan warning light? It comes on occasionally (with the limp home mode kicking in) when warm and moving in slow traffic, often with the fan itself kicking in. I'm inclined to think that the engine bay heat sensor (or the software) is over-reading the engine bay temperature as I can't think that it can be getting so hot under there during winter in NW England.

I've tried reading the codes (as per the linked guidance doc in the members area with a test light and bridging wire) but its not lighting up at all. Does it have to be an led to read the codes or is it possible there are no codes to light up?

Has anybody come across the above symptoms previously?
Many thanks
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: First post and warning light question

Post by Bob » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:38 pm

Mine's older so I'm not up to speed on the fancy electronics fitted to newer types, but hopefully someone will have some ideas. 8)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:23 pm

No a standard filament light is fine and easier than an LED. It won't be the software, more likely to be a dodgy sensor or intermittent contact on a connector perhaps.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:31 am

When following guides for the and fault I had, they all said to use an led, but I tried a variety and nothing worked. The warning light on the dash flashed though.

I don't know if it is the same for your fault but I would try bridging the necessary pins, then turning the ignition on and seeing if the light flashes on the dash?
eelblady
Junior Bongonaut

Post by eelblady » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:22 pm

Thanks for the replies, I might add a sensor to a forthcoming parts order and see if it makes a difference
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:49 pm

668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
eelblady
Junior Bongonaut

Post by eelblady » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:20 pm

Ian wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:49 pm This is the one: https://bongoland.co.uk/product/lower-t ... nder-unit/
Interesting -I thought the scavenger fan was activated by the one under the arm rest- which looks like this one:

https://bongoland.co.uk/product/air-inp ... re-sensor/

but I see that's a petrol only sensor
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:26 pm

Which light is flashing? Is it the Glowplug or Hold light? They report that the one of the computers has an error which may or may not be the scavenger fan, that's a simplification!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
cutlass
Bongolier

Post by cutlass » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:15 am

on my bongo when that temp sesor dont work right or disconnect - be flash lamp glow plug and run scavenger fan all time...
eelblady
Junior Bongonaut

Post by eelblady » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:18 am

ta both - its the glowplug light that flashes - I know that shows an error but can't manage to read the codes!
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:34 am

eelblady wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:20 pm
Interesting -I thought the scavenger fan was activated by the one under the arm rest- which looks like this one:

https://bongoland.co.uk/product/air-inp ... re-sensor/
You are correct. The one on the cylinder head controls the radiator fans. The one under the arm rest controls the scavenger.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:51 am

The sensor (if needed) carries the part number BP4W18845

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Intake-T ... .l4275.c10

Take care
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:41 pm

A Denso after market part is also available p/n 170400610.
cutlass
Bongolier

Post by cutlass » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:30 am

can't manage to read the codes! - whats problem? :D for next - full selfdiagnostic mazda - most of all metod work on bongo too https://www.drive2.ru/l/5606306/

and that http://www.philmcfadden.co.uk/MazdaDiagnosticBox.htm
NOTE- i dont use LED - on bongo I read codes from base lamp HOLD, GLOW,ABS,AIRBAG - it work too!!!
eelblady
Junior Bongonaut

Post by eelblady » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:09 pm

bit of an update:

I did replace the scavenger fan sensor (as it was only £15) and much better but light now seems to come on in different circumstances and not as often so have something else to check on...

I can indeed read the codes off the glow plug light on the dash once a jumper wire is plugged in the right holes. Only thing is, being a year 2000 model, I believe these are 4 digit codes rather than the 2 digit codes on the Phil McFadden weblink and I can't find a list of the 4 digit codes.

as per the recently revived post, I've replaced some of the vacuum pipes already and checked movement of the turbo vane which all seems okay. My next move will be to check the connector on the EGR and whether the EGR is bunged up with muck - clean it out a bit and then blank it off.

Cheers everybody!

Return to “Techie Stuff”