Rear of engine access panel removal (all ok but...)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Rear of engine access panel removal (all ok but...)

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:25 pm

give that man a medal who put that bolt behind what must be the hand brake cable. =D>

Lots of fun getting that one off ! Then spotted the 2 bolts holding the bracket to the floor so
undid those.

All in all not too bad getting it off, benefit of experience having done it once I guess, took about 25mins
you cannot go at it like a loon. Took my time with it. Chose today as it is a nice mild day (14C) quite pleasant
in the Bongo really. Broke out a sweat undoing the bolts, also the carpet gets in the way a bit for the floor panel bolts.

Right o Cuppa tea.. and finish the TM-2 re-install this arvo.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Re: Rear of engine access panel removal (all ok but...)

Post by TheLongRoad » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:12 pm

Sounds like you've cracked it, thanks for sharing. Any photos to illustrate where these bolts are? Cheers
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:29 pm

You just unbutton the carpet round the back of the centre console. No photo needed really very easy to see them once you open the "carpet curtains".

There are roughly 8 or 10 x 10mm bolts, you should have a open ended spanner and ideally a short extension 6inch or longer would be handy and socket for the ones on the floor as the stiff carpet keeps bending back and wanting to cover them so you are fighting the carpet. You definitely need an open ended one for getting the one behind the hand brake cable (as you might imagine armoured strong nylon inflexible sleeve), bottom left side one. (I am assuming this is handbrake) I have not took the centre console plastic off yet will do that as I need access to the driver side shortly.

It is not that difficult but can be a tad tricky.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:57 pm

Thanks, not taken delivery of our Bongo yet but am reading all the Techie posts and looking at spare part availablity. So far I've found a lot more detail available about Bongos than my Suzuki which was sold in the UK. Seems both share the tendancy for the rear brake slider bolts to sieze up unless they get an annual service (easy job mind - about an hour and most of that is removal and refiiting wheels). I'll be needing to get inside engine bay to check water hoses regardless of what the dealer says :wink:

I'll be fitting a double din head unit with sat nav amongst other things. So knowing the easy way to pop trim panels and covers off is always helpful.

Cheers
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:56 pm

This forum has very knowledgeable people on here. I only know the basics really, maintenance, sorting rust patches etc. There are a few common issues that crop up and plenty of info on here and in fact sheets for members. (A few are door loom between the door frame and the vehicle, well known for causing central locking and electric window issues, trip meter making a loud clicking noise (reset it a few times), diesel tank reading wrongly (often earthing issue with a wire add on fix) With a bit of will and some help here they can be sorted quite quickly.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:59 pm

I’m just developing my mechanics skills and building up tool collection in the workshop. I’m confident replacing discs, pads, oil services and he odd electrical job ( fitted new wiring loom to a series 2 landie). Enjoying working on all my vehicles and yes the forum (s) are a great place for advice. I’m going to buy the Bongo device manual - thank goodness there is such a thing as the Suzuki is a learn as you go job. :D
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:40 pm

Hello all.
I recently needed to remove this panel when replacing the rocker box gasket. Experience now tells me it is best to remove this panel whilst sitting in the back before tilting back the seats and leaning over from the engine bay.

Return to “Techie Stuff”