Bongo won't start - starter motor??

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Dogran
Bongonaut

Bongo won't start - starter motor??

Post by Dogran » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:44 am

Hi - just tried to start thee Bongo after 2 months without use. After turning the engine over a couple of times got her going but she then conked out - not unusual after a period without use. Tried again and engine wouldn't turn over but there is a high pitched noise coming from the engine ( a sort of eeee eeee eeee noise!). Anyone any ideas? I''m guessing the starter motor maybe knackered / jammed due to lack of use / cold weather? Battery seems ok as she did initially turn over and start, all dash lights are on.

Anyone have any advice or alternative suggestions?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Bongo won't start - starter motor??

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:15 pm

Sounds a bit like the Bendix starter isn't throwing it? I'm not familiar with Bongo starter motor but on my old 1958 MG those were the symptoms. Regarding conking out, what engine type is yours? My diesel was left 6 weeks and started at the touch of a key and i'd expect diesels to do that.
Dogran
Bongonaut

Post by Dogran » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks, it is a diesel. It has always been a bit hard to start if its been left for while so I wasn't concerned when it took two attempts to get her going. Is the bendix problem sometimes sorted with a wack to the starter motor?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:45 pm

Dogran wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:30 pm Thanks, it is a diesel. It has always been a bit hard to start if its been left for while so I wasn't concerned when it took two attempts to get her going. Is the bendix problem sometimes sorted with a wack to the starter motor?
You might have seals going a bit dodgy on the fuel pump as if all is well they should start on the touch of a key and stay started. Is there any lumpiness or smoke, as that might just point the problem elsewhere. Yes i used to use a strategic tap with a hammer to persuade my MG's bendix to unjam but it might not be so easy to reach/do on a Bongo. Also, its not a good habit and the problem is best fixed at source. I think it might be a bad idea to use wd40 etc as it might work short term but cause more binding dirt to gum the bendix long term :roll:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:09 pm

It's a simple diy job to whip the starter out and check it.

You Tube instructions out there, and it might be worth changing the solenoid contacts while it's out, very cheap off Flea Bay, don't think contacts are causing this problem, just easy while you're in there.
Dogran
Bongonaut

Post by Dogran » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:59 pm

Thanks both.

Mike - yes it is a bit lumpy and smoky on start up if its cold or it hasn't been used for a while. As i said its always been like that but will get it looked at once the starting issue has been resolved.

|Next numpty question - where is the starter motor? Might just replace it altogether as they don't seem too expensive for a refurbished unit....
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Have you tried to jump start it from another known good battery?
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:47 pm

TheLongRoad wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:55 pm Have you tried to jump start it from another known good battery?
Good thought. And whats the AmpHr rating and condition of the current battery. Sounds like a general health check and service etc could pay dividends.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:54 am

Dogran wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:59 pm Thanks both.

Mike - yes it is a bit lumpy and smoky on start up if its cold or it hasn't been used for a while. As i said its always been like that but will get it looked at once the starting issue has been resolved.

|Next numpty question - where is the starter motor? Might just replace it altogether as they don't seem too expensive for a refurbished unit....

This should help you a wee bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H53kKDBDEZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pnySma88gY

Remember that,

These vehicles have two different starter motors fitted as std, one is std and one is hd the latter normally used on the winter pack version vehicles.

Take care
Dogran
Bongonaut

Post by Dogran » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:51 am

Thanks for the replies. The battery is a big Bosch one as recommended on here, from memory its 95Ah. I'm as sure as I can be the battery is ok as it turned over and started ok initially. I have had flat batteries in the past and this was nothing like it, and the description of the starter motor not transferring power to the engine seems to fit the symptoms (i.e. I can hear it whirring but the engine doesn't turn over at all).

Teenmal - thanks for youtube links, just the job.

One slight complication is that the Bongo is parked several streets away from my house (the joys of living in central Bristol) so I need to get the Bongo started and moved before I can do much else....
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:56 pm

PM Sent, I'm not far away.

Good luck.
Dogran
Bongonaut

Post by Dogran » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Thanks Bob - PM received and replied to. Top man.
Dogran
Bongonaut

Post by Dogran » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:27 pm

Just a belated update on this problem. Turns out Mike was correct in his thoughts about the fuel pump. Turns out the seals must be going. Having been unused for a while the fuel must have drained back into the fuel tank which apparently created a vacuum in the fuel line, hence no fuel getting to the engine when trying to start it. A Few minutes cranking the engine to get The fuel through to engine and all was well. Bingo now in for NOT so fingers crossed. Thanks for all the advice.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:50 pm

Dogran wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:27 pm Just a belated update on this problem. Turns out Mike was correct in his thoughts about the fuel pump. Turns out the seals must be going. Having been unused for a while the fuel must have drained back into the fuel tank which apparently created a vacuum in the fuel line, hence no fuel getting to the engine when trying to start it. A Few minutes cranking the engine to get The fuel through to engine and all was well. Bingo now in for NOT so fingers crossed. Thanks for all the advice.
Goodo. Pinpointing the problem is half the job done :-)
cutlass
Bongolier

Post by cutlass » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:52 pm

created a vacuum-check cap of fuel tank

Return to “Techie Stuff”