Should there be a hole in the transmission housing here?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Tony x
Tribal Elder

Should there be a hole in the transmission housing here?

Post by Tony x » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:06 pm

Hello all,
My Bongo is a 2.5 diesel year 2000.
If you have a look at this Lush projects diagram (where would we be without them) you'll see a small rubber plug on the underside of the transmission housing. Part 16-145 towards the top right of the diagram.
http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... no=.html#5
The original rubber plug had a gap of about 10mm x 20mm where it fitted into the metal transmission casing. You could look up through this gap and see the shiny gear ring flywheel (part 11-502). It was as if the plug had been made too short. Other than this, the plug fitted perfectly.
I ordered a new plug (took a couple of weeks to arrive from Japan - cost was £3.50) and this was exactly the same as the old one.
It appears odd there should be a gap here through which water / muck could enter.
I could just make a plug that fitted out of the two I have but should I?....Should there be a gap here?
Cheers
Tony
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Should there be a hole in the transmission housing here?

Post by teenmal » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:39 pm

YES

Take Care
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Re: Should there be a hole in the transmission housing here?

Post by Tony x » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:55 pm

Cheers Teenmal.
Most holes in such components, often used for venting pressure and the like, go through quite torturous routes.
This is direct access into the case and appears a little odd. A small (ok, very small) inhabitant of a hedgerow could get in there. I'll remember it's there for when I get the underside cleaned and re-waxoiled
Tony

Return to “Techie Stuff”