fog lights.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

playnotwork
Bongonaut

fog lights.

Post by playnotwork » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:37 am

Got an sgl5 with factory spot lights. They are not working and cant figure out why. Fuse in tact, power to fuse, switch works, wiring correct, bulbs work. believe the ecu will only turn them on when all conditions are correct. what are these conditions, not urgent just annoying :?:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: fog lights.

Post by g8dhe » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:43 am

There is a signal going to the ECU from the lights but the relay is turned on by the switch alone. See below;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:23 am

its a bit of a faff but this is usually the fault. i have done about 6 or 7 of these. [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< .

if you remove the driverside head light and sometimes the front grill,(depends how old it is,new shape or old). tucked under where the headlight sat, clipped to the back of the front panel is the joint block in the wiring loom to the front fog lights, this is in a really bad spot to get wet from the rain etc, look for a twin wire plug and you may find it a nice corroded green colour with one or more of the wires corroded away. it usually needs a new plug its that bad. :roll: :wink:
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:28 pm

g8dhe wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:43 am There is a signal going to the ECU from the lights but the relay is turned on by the switch alone. See below;
Any idea why the ECU would need a signal from the fog lamps ? ?
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:47 pm

Same as why it needs to know that the headlights are on, so it can turn up the revs at idle to ensure that there is sufficient power available from the alternator and that your not draining the battery.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:46 am

g8dhe wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:47 pm Same as why it needs to know that the headlights are on, so it can turn up the revs at idle to ensure that there is sufficient power available from the alternator and that your not draining the battery.
Wow! Does my '95 Bongo have that level of sophistication? By what device does the ECU implement the raising of tickover?

Its always puzzled me why, with such an abundance of engine power, we're still stuck with charging devices whose output is affected by engine rpm. I thought all that was supposed to have stopped after the Age of the Dynamosaurs ended. :?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:00 am

I assume its the Idle Speed Control (ISC) solenoid in the petrol and the Fast Idle Control Device (FICD) in the diesel, it gets used as well when you turn on the Air Con (as well as turning on the fans), as it only appears to adjust the speed at idle when more power is required.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:10 am

g8dhe wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:00 am I assume its the Idle Speed Control (ISC) solenoid in the petrol and the Fast Idle Control Device (FICD) in the diesel, it gets used as well when you turn on the Air Con (as well as turning on the fans), as it only appears to adjust the speed at idle when more power is required.
Ah yes of course.

Return to “Techie Stuff”