Cold Start Solenoid

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

islalola
Apprentice Bongonaut

Cold Start Solenoid

Post by islalola » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi all,
I've been having trouble with lumpy/smokey start for a while. So after searching forums and looking at bongo (2.5l td) I've discovered that one of the Cold Start Solenoids no.(22) is broken https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mazda ... LCqMWUFI4M:. Its broke at the back of the white plug where it connects.
Also, while looking at engine, after pumping accelerator repeatedly until it started I noticed diesel leak. Could this be due to pumping gas when I should'ent or is it something else?
Regards
Isla
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Cold Start Solenoid

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Cold start solenoid just raises tickover when cold. Mine is u/s but car still starts at touch of the key, without pressing the pedal and with no lumpiness. You might have weak glow plug glow. Also the diesel absolutely does not want the pedal pumping. If you do that, or even press the pedal straight after starting from cold, the engine may well run lumpy esp if glow plugs below their best. I know all this from personal experience!
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:39 pm

As mike says , FICD...this controls the cold start RPM and also (when used)compensates for the Air con compressor Load .

FICD= Fast Idle Control Device.

Make sure that the Glow/Heater plugs are in fact operating as they should.

Take Care
islalola
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by islalola » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:31 pm

Thanks for the replies. Problem started 7mths ago so I had glowplugs replaced. Bongo started fine for 2 weeks and then problem returned. I asked mechanic to check the glowplugs and he said they were fine. Time to ask a different mechanic to check them me thinks.
From reading other posts it sounded like it might have been cold start mechanism and as one of the cold start solinoids is broke....
But if Mike's is starting fine without well.....
I'll update again tomorrow after I see mechanic
Thans once again
Isla
islalola
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by islalola » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:02 pm

Forgot to mention, the problem only exists on morning start. For the rest of the day it starts fine on first turn no juice.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:10 am

islalola wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:02 pm Forgot to mention, the problem only exists on morning start. For the rest of the day it starts fine on first turn no juice.
It does sound glowplug related. There is a relay that has to work to kick them alive but usually if that dies the cold engine won't start at all. Did the garage use a good brand of glowplug as cheap ones have proved unreliable. Try also not to ever use any throttle when starting. It may be that without the cold start solenoid the cold engine tickover is v slow so engine feels lumpy. Are you getting a smoky exhaust along with the lumpy start?
islalola
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by islalola » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:23 am

Hi Mike,
Yeah, engine struggles to fire up then big plumes of white/grey smoke although as stated I've been pumping gas till it fires.
Don't know what type of glow plugs mechanic used.
Regards
Isla
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:35 am

islalola wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:23 am Hi Mike,
Yeah, engine struggles to fire up then big plumes of white/grey smoke although as stated I've been pumping gas till it fires.
Don't know what type of glow plugs mechanic used.
Regards
Isla
So, first, don't pump, either before or after starting. Its guaranteed to make things worse. You could very lightly touch the pedal after start to raise the tickover for 30 secs or so, but no more than that. I get around all this on mine as i have a kind of cruise control that works by locking the throttle. This device can be used to hold a raised tickover if needed. But i rarely use it on cold starts even so. It does sound to me like glow plugs or relay might not be eorking great though. Oh, one other possibility is a tired / liw rated starter battery. I suspect that in that case, the battery cannot supply sufficient power to glow the plugs esp when starter key is turned. I always fit a 90ah battery min. to mine.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:17 pm

couple of things to note on the cold start system.
the glow plugs only work if the revs are BELLOW 950 revs, above that they are turned off above that by the ecu as its deemed to be running well so not needed.

2 weeks working is about the time it takes to rub through the plastic on the buss bar if the wrong glow plugs are fitted, there are 2 diff lengths. if the buss bar rubs through the plastic to short on the injector return pipes it will short the lecky out, sometimes taking out the fuse or relay. check the link bar isnt touching anything.

the cold start solenoids work on vacuum, alot of these old girls dont hold the vac overnight so when started in the morning it may take a second or two to build the vac to operate the auto throttle pickup so starting cleanly. check the pipe work carefully from the vac pump to the solenoids, they become age hard a leak, replace with only the proper grade of vac pipe as others can warm up and go soft and suck flat.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... 1of02.html
islalola
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by islalola » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:08 am

Morning
Thanks to all for advice. Replacing glow plugs did the trick. Mechanic 'fixed' cold start mechanism/solenoid...it now engages but wont disengage. When I pointed this out was told to take my bongo and get lost. That's the last time I'll use SVA Imports.
Regards
Isla
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:18 pm

Just a thought, I had a similar starting issue on an old Ford engine many years ago. Eventually tracked it down to a leaking fuel line that allowed air in the system and the diesel to drain back to the tank overnight. Cranking for ages on the sarter in the morning got it going and the problem didn't repeat throughout the day. Back to the issue each morning when cold and fuel starved. Might help you or might not but worth looking.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
cutlass
Bongolier

Post by cutlass » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:38 pm

check glow plug....replace and connect to electrocity...if 2 of 4 is crash - you will have many problem at "cold start" https://mikrob.ru/download/file.php?id=749360&mode=view
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:10 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:17 pm couple of things to note on the cold start system.
the glow plugs only work if the revs are BELLOW 950 revs, above that they are turned off above that by the ecu as its deemed to be running well so not needed.

2 weeks working is about the time it takes to rub through the plastic on the buss bar if the wrong glow plugs are fitted, there are 2 diff lengths. if the buss bar rubs through the plastic to short on the injector return pipes it will short the lecky out, sometimes taking out the fuse or relay. check the link bar isnt touching anything.

the cold start solenoids work on vacuum, alot of these old girls dont hold the vac overnight so when started in the morning it may take a second or two to build the vac to operate the auto throttle pickup so starting cleanly. check the pipe work carefully from the vac pump to the solenoids, they become age hard a leak, replace with only the proper grade of vac pipe as others can warm up and go soft and suck flat.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... 1of02.html

For the second time "Are you Sure" ???

Its probably more like " On a cold engine Up to approx 1500 rpm."

:o :o :lol: :lol:

Take care.
cutlass
Bongolier

Post by cutlass » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:23 pm

sorry-small comment - mazda bongo after 1999 ( fuel pump - bosh VE covec F - "digital EFI" - https://www.avito.ru/tyumen/zapchasti_i ... _983520787) dont have "cold start solenoids work on vacuum" and dont rotation more 950-1000 rpm at cold...it is "special idea" japans engineer for save cold engine.....and connect heater along 2-3 sec. glow plug when you fast put down accelerator pedal in all temp and all rpm, all speed....

Return to “Techie Stuff”