More rust

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

stpn6371$
Apprentice Bongonaut

More rust

Post by stpn6371$ » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi all

I noticed that my air vent under the engine compartment and under the front bumper had dropped on inspection I see that the whole area has rusted and the bolts holding the air intake vent has come away can anyone suggest how I resolve this issue.

Kind regards
Steve
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: More rust

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:33 pm

stpn6371$ wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:04 pm Hi all

I noticed that my air vent under the engine compartment and under the front bumper had dropped on inspection I see that the whole area has rusted and the bolts holding the air intake vent has come away can anyone suggest how I resolve this issue.

Kind regards
Steve
Sounds like you're referring to the intercooler intake. I suspect that bolts (or would if it wasn't rusted away) to the crossmember below the radiator. These are well known to corrode but fear not, a new one can be obtained and welded in. Mine was done a few years back. Make sure the new one gets a thorough coating with something like dinitrol to try and protect its future.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:46 pm

hi if you press the search tab and type in front AND crossmember lots of threads will pop up, leave the author blank. click on the links and have a read. the AND is important in the search as it then searches for individual words rather than sentences.
stpn6371$
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by stpn6371$ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi

thanks for the advice

kind regards
Steve
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:40 am

this what it looks like in bits.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html.

ive done a few of these ive used cut out of a scraper replacements and the new made ones, both went in really well with little hassle. bare in mind that there is about 200,000 spot welds and lots of bolts just holding the thing in place as its the main strength across the front end.
some have done the job without removing the front aircon rad and coolant rad as you will have to regas the aircon and bleed the coolant system when you remove them from the car but i prefer to remove it all then you can get to all the spot welds to drill them out and reweld the new one in properly.

some just cut out the bottom face and weld in a new bottom but - - - - -

Return to “Techie Stuff”