TM-2 temp alarm gone doo-lally

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

TM-2 temp alarm gone doo-lally

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:33 pm

Went for a drive circa 30 miles, all fine temp going up as normal. On way back showed 85C quite soon after starting off and thought was a bit high as it was 79-80C on the way out/quite a cool day. Then it flicked between 79C and 85C every few seconds, then read 001 for a good while and then had alarm going off at 127C intermittently after getting stuck at 001 for the rest of the journey.

I suspect maybe I need to check the lead which is protected via gaffer tape under the driver chair foam seal going to the head bolt.
Just posting this up and not expecting any specific reply untill I have made a closer visual inspection of the greay lead to see if there is anything
obvious wrong with the cable.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Re: TM-2 temp alarm gone doo-lally

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:23 pm

Had a chance to do a visual inspection today. No wear or marking on the grey wire under the seat, no crimping or pressure marks, it looks uniformly the same where it is under the foam (extra covered with layers of gaffer for good measure) or free at the front of the chair. Also checked along the length where the heat shield through the engine bay (concertina split heat shield) and all seemed attached fine, no problems. So no idea what is going on with it. I gave it a try again and it read 007 C which is probably about right.

So I will try it again on the next journey and see what happens as temps go up etc.

Any known issues with these (As I gather they are good quality and tend to last), warranty length would be handy to know ?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:37 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:23 pm Had a chance to do a visual inspection today. No wear or marking on the grey wire under the seat, no crimping or pressure marks, it looks uniformly the same where it is under the foam (extra covered with layers of gaffer for good measure) or free at the front of the chair. Also checked along the length where the heat shield through the engine bay (concertina split heat shield) and all seemed attached fine, no problems. So no idea what is going on with it. I gave it a try again and it read 007 C which is probably about right.

So I will try it again on the next journey and see what happens as temps go up etc.

Any known issues with these (As I gather they are good quality and tend to last), warranty length would be handy to know ?
Never heard of a TM2 playing up before, but Haydn Alarms customer support is top notch (just one reason I was happy to pay higher-than-chinese-ebay prices) so just email or call and they should be able to advise.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:01 pm

I have experience problems with several of this type of gauge, the display ends up like a Stick in a Pail, and is Heart attack material for the driver. Some gauges didn't even like the hot weather, they kept reverting to 85 degrees even when starting from cold. Send it back or fire it in the bin , not worth risking your health :lol: :lol: .

Take care..

PS the magic number seems to be 85....
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:25 am

teenmal wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:01 pm I have experience problems with several of this type of gauge, the display ends up like a Stick in a Pail, and is Heart attack material for the driver. Some gauges didn't even like the hot weather, they kept reverting to 85 degrees even when starting from cold. Send it back or fire it in the bin , not worth risking your health :lol: :lol: .

Take care..

PS the magic number seems to be 85....
Blimey. In all my 11 years and 21k posts on here, i've not seen a thread about a faulty TM2 before. Just goes to show people don't always come on here with their problems. Sounds like BB123 might have been better buying a cheap ebay one. Might have to dump mine also hey ho :roll:
Mocks32
Apprentice Bongonaut

Imported fuse panel problem

Post by Mocks32 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:31 am

Hi everyone
I recently purchased a Japanese imported Bongo Friendee. I have no brake lights & when I checked the fuse panel, they are numbered in Japanese so I don't know what fuse I'm looking for. The inside of the fuse panel is blank so gives me no clue. It's a 1996 model. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tony
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Imported fuse panel problem

Post by g8dhe » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:08 pm

All the wiring diagrams, fuses, lamps etc are on-line here http://www.g8dhe.net/bwm
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:45 pm

Had a pleasant conversation with Jo (they phoned me after I pointed them here for any advice) at Haydn Temp alarms, very informative and the likely culprit is the lead which they will replace/solder on for free. I can confirm it is an issue because the same thing happened today after a drive out. I shall be sending the unit back and they will send it back. It was recommended not to feed the lead through the same route. I will have to think of a new way into the engine bay other than under the seat. (albeit padded) It will need a hole big enough to get the sensor washer end through.

You cannot say fairer than that. I don't particularly look forward to undoing all those nuts on the back of the Bongo engine bay but neither is it the end of the world.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:44 pm

They will probably replace the complete unit just in case its not a faulty cable .

Take Care.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:48 pm

teenmal wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:44 pm They will probably replace the complete unit just in case its not a faulty cable .

Take Care.
Yup, knowing Haydns lot they could just do that. Maybe i will hang on to mine. Can't see yer average ebay vendor offering the same support :-) =D>
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:51 pm

Unit being sent back and very pleased with the service so far. After almost 3 years they did not have to replace the wire and did without any quibbles.

I am just wondering how people typically route this lead from the TM-2 into the engine bay from the drivers area ? I did try and pad it fairly well with Gaffer tape in the relevant area where it was under the foam pad that surround the bottom of the driver seat but it seems this was not enough to protect it ultimately.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:08 am

BongoBongo123 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:51 pm Unit being sent back and very pleased with the service so far. After almost 3 years they did not have to replace the wire and did without any quibbles.

I am just wondering how people typically route this lead from the TM-2 into the engine bay from the drivers area ? I did try and pad it fairly well with Gaffer tape in the relevant area where it was under the foam pad that surround the bottom of the driver seat but it seems this was not enough to protect it ultimately.
I am sure that if you contact the suppliers of the unit they will give you the best solution for your type of vehicle.

Take Care
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:15 am

Sorry it looks like you have previously had instructions on this....

by haydn callow » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:16 am
Just bring it over the edge of where the seat seals.....bring the wire over, put a bit of protective tube over it and the rubber seat seal will stop it from being damaged....then over the top past the handbrake etc and on under the dash
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:46 am

Hmm... yes that's true. To be honest I cannot really understand why it would break there as I did protect it as well as I could. If honest I don't want a fairly big hole drilled into the top case ( to feed through the sensor ring washer). I will take a look again (which I am fairly sure I did when I installed it) to see if there is already and existing way through.

In any event I would not be without this unit, I know the cost of a new head. :evil: (and for anyone else reading this who does not know the history it was incompetence at a so called "Bongo friendly" garage, more like "Bongo destruction facility".... that caused the meltdown)

I also add that apparently the TM-2 has a new lead type with a dual sleeve meaning a wire that could be susceptible to short, now cannot, which is a good thing.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:17 am

Routing of any cabling on any device leaves a lot of scope for individual variations. Whilst a supplier might be good enough to suggest a routing, i doubt they could (or should) be held liable for a diy installation that fails. Haydn Alarms seem to have really gone the extra mile to sort this one. =D> =D> =D>

I recall that there was no coolant alarm kit offered for uk Bongo owners until Haydn (who had a Bongo himself at the time and was a BF member) pondered the cause of overheating/cracked head problems and worked with an Australian company to adapt and test their quality kit for the Bongo. I bought one of the first and its been protecting mine for nearly 11 years now. He then moved on to offering the TM2 kit, again originally a product of the Australian company.

Return to “Techie Stuff”