roof im afraid

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Merlot man
Bongolier

Re: roof im afraid

Post by Merlot man » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:52 am

That's sounds like a bit of a result then redcastle !
Its something that I must look at myself , servicing the motors and maybe replacing the struts but grease is the top tip alright .
I'm always worried about it going up alright but NOT coming down ......and your in the middle of your holidays :shock: :twisted:
All the best
Brian
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: roof im afraid

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:49 pm

redcastle wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:47 am Just thought an update might be good for others searching for slow roofs

After all the great advice I decided to wait until the spring to get the roof done, using mrs bongo but don't need the roof and a bit skint so patience.

All the greases and lubricants were out so I thought before putting it all away I may as well clean the fabric and give the rails and any other moving parts a final fettle. Really cleaned the aluminium runners paying special attention to the backs and anything that looked like it may move got a good dose of lithium, not forgetting the two big hinges at the back that the roof pivots on.
Took the covers off to uncover the motors and used contact cleaner on them, they're sort of b shaped and the only access is through the top so figuring nothing from nothing is nothing really gave them a good squirting. Dropped the roof and put the roof to bed. That was on tuesday

Yesterday took the dog into the woods and while she was doing what dogs do sat in the bongo and made a brew and thought I'll just pop the roof up....................oh my, went up very nicely indeed, right to the top, no shoving or toggling. :shock:

thoughts !
these greases and cleaners really work but you have to give them time to do their work, don't expect immediate results, the number of times I've used WD40 and expected immediate results when clearly they work much better if your patient and give them time.........................
Great result and better than i'd have expected tbh!

Return to “Techie Stuff”