Sliding Door Central Locking Actuator

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

captain_badger
Junior Bongonaut

Sliding Door Central Locking Actuator

Post by captain_badger » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:44 am

Morning all!

I've started my day feeling a little disappointed if I'm honest. I had my sliding door in bits yesterday to figure out why the central locking wasn't working. It turned out, as I suspected, to be the actuator motor. Happy that I had identified the faulty part, I went off to look on Bongospares and could only find a complete assembly - which is way more than I need and a little too pricey. I'm even more disappointed to find that after calling them they're unwilling to break up an assembly and provide me with just the part I need. I get that they have a business to run, and actually the motor is by far and away the most likely part to fail from that big mechanical bunch of trickery but still... they probably have quite a fair amount of assemblies they could break and I feel like I've already spent/am going to spend a fair amount of money with them. Just seems a bit poor on the old customer service front to me.

Aaaanyway, my question is:

Does anybody know where I can pick up the "black box" part of the central locking assembly for my sliding door? Or even know of a suitable motor that will fit in as a replacement?

Am I being cheap not wanting to pay £45 for what is essentially a very small component?

Cheers.

Jack
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Sliding Door Central Locking Actuator

Post by g8dhe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:23 pm

Try George at BongoSpares http://www.bongospares.co.uk/
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:33 pm

I cant remember the exact setup in the sliding door as its been a while since ive been in there but could you fit a universal 2 wire unit ? the type that is used to add central locking to cars that don't have it ?
Like these ones > https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... d&_sacat=0

Got to be worth a try at less than £4
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:34 pm

g8dhe wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:23 pm Try George at BongoSpares http://www.bongospares.co.uk/
I think he did Geoff?

To the OP - I can sympathise with Bongospares though as they have to run a business and may feel that without that component they can't sell the bigger assembly it is part of. Are you saying you can get the part for £45. If so it might be worth posting a link to it on here in case anyone recognises it as a generic part that might be got from other / cheaper sources

Edit: I see nth has all but anticipated my suggestion =D>
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:59 pm

nth wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:33 pm I cant remember the exact setup in the sliding door as its been a while since ive been in there but could you fit a universal 2 wire unit ? the type that is used to add central locking to cars that don't have it ?

This might jog your memory......

https://www.ebid.net/us/for-sale/mazda- ... 263724.htm
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:08 pm

teenmal wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:59 pm
nth wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:33 pm I cant remember the exact setup in the sliding door as its been a while since ive been in there but could you fit a universal 2 wire unit ? the type that is used to add central locking to cars that don't have it ?

This might jog your memory......

https://www.ebid.net/us/for-sale/mazda- ... 263724.htm
I would imagine you would be able to do something with a universal kit. It would most likely fit onto the inner door skin then attach the rod to the original locking button. You really need to have it in there to size it up.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
captain_badger
Junior Bongonaut

Post by captain_badger » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestions all.

I think I'm going to answer my own question really and say: Yes - I am just being tight.

Spent a lot of my day today looking at various motors on ebay, searching for alternatives and calling round known Bongo Breakers and it does seem like this part is worth the price tag, and Bongospares know that - because they are experienced. :)

I guess I'll swallow my pride and put my hand in my pocket. I guess the rest of it that I don't need may come in handy one day! Looks like I need to buy a new shed specifically for Bongo Bits! :lol:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:35 pm

Have you actually spoken with George at BongoSpares ? Not everything gets put on the web site as there can be so many parts and variations ? The same goes for most of the other spares locations especially with second hand items.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
captain_badger
Junior Bongonaut

Post by captain_badger » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 pm

g8dhe wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:35 pm Have you actually spoken with George at BongoSpares ? Not everything gets put on the web site as there can be so many parts and variations ? The same goes for most of the other spares locations especially with second hand items.
Yeah I did call them to see if there was one they'd consider breaking up for me. It was a no. I think after reflection I can empathise with them, but it's just a bit frustrating to pay for such a lot of stuff when I know it's only a small proportion of it I actually need. Never mind.
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:15 pm

captain_badger wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:44 am
Am I being cheap not wanting to pay £45 for what is essentially a very small component?

No, just lazy for not wanting to use the key! (I'll get me coat...)
Seriously though, all car parts are expensive these days. My central locking only works on the driver's door; the tailgate and slider both lock on the remote if the driver's door is unlocked already and the passenger door doesn't work on the remote at all.
Doesn't really bother me, I am both cheap and lazy 'cos I could replace the driver's door loom - at a cost - and sort it all out. But in the big scheme of things it's not a problem, I think of it as 'character' :D
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:13 am

Have you tried Mazda ? Sometimes we don't even think about dealers as we assume they will be way overpriced but sometimes you can be surprised.
About 6 months ago I fitted an ignition switch to a MK7 transit, when I phoned a Ford dealeer to order the part he told me it was £11 odd + VAT, I was like are you sure its the right part? There are used ones on eBay for more than that :shock:
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:31 am

Markas wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:15 pm My central locking only works on the driver's door; the tailgate and slider both lock on the remote if the driver's door is unlocked already and the passenger door doesn't work on the remote at all.
Doesn't really bother me, I am both cheap and lazy 'cos I could replace the driver's door loom - at a cost - and sort it all out. But in the big scheme of things it's not a problem, I think of it as 'character' :D
I had similar problems. Posts on here persuaded me a new door wiring loom was needed so paid good money to have one fitted. The problem persisted but someone else described how changing the central locking relay underneath the glovebox had fixed theirs. £20 for a 2nd hand one from Bongospares, 2 mins to change them over, and its worked perfectly ever since. Could be worth a try?
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:42 am

mikeonb4c wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:31 am
...Posts on here persuaded me a new door wiring loom was needed so paid good money to have one fitted. The problem persisted but someone else described how changing the central locking relay underneath the glovebox had fixed theirs. £20 for a 2nd hand one from Bongospares, 2 mins to change them over, and its worked perfectly ever since. Could be worth a try?
Don't want to take this thread too far off topic, but if the c/l relay is faulty surely no doors would lock or unlock remotely? My driver's door still does both, and the passenger cab door does neither. Plus the door loom is clearly knackered and someone has previously had a go at 'fixing' it with insulating tape.
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:52 am

Markas wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:42 am
mikeonb4c wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:31 am
...Posts on here persuaded me a new door wiring loom was needed so paid good money to have one fitted. The problem persisted but someone else described how changing the central locking relay underneath the glovebox had fixed theirs. £20 for a 2nd hand one from Bongospares, 2 mins to change them over, and its worked perfectly ever since. Could be worth a try?
Don't want to take this thread too far off topic, but if the c/l relay is faulty surely no doors would lock or unlock remotely? My driver's door still does both, and the passenger cab door does neither. Plus the door loom is clearly knackered and someone has previously had a go at 'fixing' it with insulating tape.
As they come from the factory, the drivers door is locked/unlocked by mechanical action. The connection to the c/l relay then allows it to send instructions to the solenoids on the other door locks to take action.

When you fit aftermarket remote control, an extra solenoid gets fitted behind the drivers door panel to actuate the drivers door lock, and this reacts to the remote control to lock the drivers door. Just as if you'd used the key, that action triggers the c/l relay as per the previous paragraph. So the drivers door could still operate fine via the remote whilst other locks do not due to a faulty c/l relay.

Thats how i understand it anyway!
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:20 am

captain_badger

Before you start to purchase unnecessary parts it would be worthwhile to (if you have not already done so) make sure that the mechanism is in fact receiving a 12 Volt Power Supply when the sliding door is Closed.

Good Luck.

Return to “Techie Stuff”