Auto Gears sticky when cold (Diesel)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Elbowpipe
Bongonaut

Auto Gears sticky when cold (Diesel)

Post by Elbowpipe » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:36 pm

Hi folks,

I recently had a query about whether a warranty on a reconditioned gearbox was transferable to a new owner, and I'm pleased to say on this occasion it was accepted. Apparently a seal had to be replaced. However since bringing home the van, I've found that when starting off in the morning, I have to be quite forceful to get from Park to Drive. After a few minutes driving, parking, starting up again, there isn't a problem, it's just when cold. I'm assuming they topped up the transmission fluid after repairing the seal, but that's going to be my first check. Any other suggestions?
Elbowpipe
Bongonaut

Re: Auto Gears sticky when cold (Diesel)

Post by Elbowpipe » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:45 pm

Yes, checked the gearbox oil (that's the dipstick to the rear under driver's seat?) with engine running and it's up to the max mark, nice and pink. What could initial stickiness in gearshift indicate?
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:11 pm

Do you park it on an incline then when you try it again you are on the flat when its working ok ? Do you also use the handbrake when you park ? If you park on an incline you can put tension on the parking pawl in the gearbox which can be tight to release from P. This can be particularly bad if you don't use the handbrake too. Its kind of like when your steering lock is on & you try to turn the key but it wont turn till you wiggle the steering wheel & release the tension from the pin in the steering lock.
When I park I always put in N, pull the handbrake on tight, release the footbrake then put it in P last & it helps stop this happening. Try this first in that order & see if it stops it happening.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:16 pm

nth wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:11 pm Do you park it on an incline then when you try it again you are on the flat when its working ok ? Do you also use the handbrake when you park ? If you park on an incline you can put tension on the parking pawl in the gearbox which can be tight to release from P. This can be particularly bad if you don't use the handbrake too. Its kind of like when your steering lock is on & you try to turn the key but it wont turn till you wiggle the steering wheel & release the tension from the pin in the steering lock.
When I park I always put in N, pull the handbrake on tight, release the footbrake then put it in P last & it helps stop this happening. Try this first in that order & see if it stops it happening.
Very good tip. =D>
Elbowpipe
Bongonaut

Post by Elbowpipe » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:27 pm

Yes! I park it on an incline, move to 'P' and then handbrake on. I'll try your tip and report back. Thanks! :D
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:25 pm

It would be worthwhile having the control cables and the button on the gear change knob checked for adjustment and lubrication.
Elbowpipe
Bongonaut

Post by Elbowpipe » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:38 am

Yeah, put handbrake on before moving to 'Park' and that's made a difference :)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:47 am

Nice one. :D
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:12 pm

Make sure you also release the footbrake before putting into P, this ensures that its the handbrake holding the car rather than the park pawl in the gearbox. If the handbrake fails the park pawl is still engaged as a backup.
This is completely normal on any (proper) autobox.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT

Return to “Techie Stuff”