Electric mirror not working properly ??

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongo&4kids
Bongonaut

Electric mirror not working properly ??

Post by bongo&4kids » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi guys,

My drivers side ELECTRIC FOLDING MIRROR has suddenly started playing up ...

It folds in ok using the switch on the dash, but DOES NOT FOLD BACK OUT properly: it either does not fold outwards at all, or it does but can't seem to click in to place, and I can hear the motor still working, as if trying to still unfold the mirror.

The passenger side mirror works fine still, and the mirror angle adjustment works ok too.

So I am guesssing something in the mirror mechanism has come loose or worn out?

I have removed the fuse temporarily to stop the motor burning out, but the mirror keeps moving out of place when driving, (and no 12V power, as on the same fuse).

ANY IDEAS OF HOW TO FIX IT OR TO INVESTIGATE FURTHER ??

THANKS!
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Electric mirror not working properly ??

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:06 pm

if the mirror has been hit or manually pulled in/out it can knock the lecky adjuster out of sync. if you roughly grab the mirror head and push it as far forward as you can without breaking it off,( but it does make a horrific grating sound as the gears go back into mesh) then press mirrors close on the switch it should go back to normal.
if it doesnt work after that it may have been clouted and the internals busted but its worth a try, they are designed so that if they get a moderate clout it comes off the gear mechanism then can be reset. the problem can be what is a moderate clout. #-o
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:56 am

Yup i think you have to go with what Ady (NB) says and hope thats it. Both my originals ended up bust from being pulled out of kilter after catching on something (one of my kids in the drive i suspect with one of them). Although i took them apart, identified the snapped gear axle and made what i thought was a strong repair using a new metal axle, the repair didn't last (in one case blowing a resistor) and i ended up getting replacements off a breaking bongo. I still have the originals as a possible retirement project ha ha.
bongo&4kids
Bongonaut

Post by bongo&4kids » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:21 pm

Thanks both for your input.

I tried re-setting the mirror yesterday, and thought I had succeeded on the second attempt - no grating sound, but I did hear what I thought was the gear clicking backing into place.
Sure enough the mirror did then fold back in when pressing the switch on the dash, but it did not want to fold back out, and was loose again.

So I am guessing now that it is broken and needs replacing.

Do you know if I need to take the door card off to remove the mirror, or can the bolts be accesed by taking the small cover off?

Thanks again!
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:17 am

looks like 2 from out side and one from in. :wink:

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:56 pm

Door car has to come off from memory. When it comes to peeling back the plastic damp proof sheeting behind the door card, people can struggle with the black goo that holds it on. I found a suitable kitchen knife could be used with a sawing action to persuade the stretching goo to split while i pulled the plastic sheet back. That leaves a bead of goo on the plastic and on the door metalwork. The two readily rebond when the plastic sheet is pressed back into position.
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:50 am

Yep, as Mike says, the door card has to come off, and then you need to get behind the plastic sheet, because you'll need to unplug the cable which clips in about halfway down the door. Be careful when you pull off the card, mine cracked a little at the top, but nothing serious. It was my own fault for being hamfisted.

I replaced mine about a month ago, memory like a sieve, so I can't remember all the details, but its pretty straightforward and obvious. You'll need to pull off the trim underneath the mirror (69116 on the diagram) to get to a couple of bolts. The diagram doesn't show it, but the hole for the mirror stem is actually open on one side, so the trim will pull off. Ease the trim off gently, as I seem to recall there was a fragile plastic pin in there. I doubt it will cause any problem if it breaks off though. I think there were 3 mounting bolts altogether, with one accessible from the inside.

I lost my original mirror in France last month. A large motorhome speeding toward me hit the nearside (offside in France!) mirror and it literally exploded. The passenger window was open, and the shards hit me in the driver seat, cutting my head, arm and even my foot. Glass everywhere in the vehicle, and still finding it now. Luckily, it was the one occasion I left my wife and daughter at the campsite, otherwise my wife would have got the full force of the glass. Scary thought.
Two tonne tin drum
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:14 pm

Yikes - scary story dvisor! My memory is crap also but your description of mirror changing rings true. Yes door card should come off no problem just have to unplug the window switch and ease/manouevre the door handle through it.
bongo&4kids
Bongonaut

Post by bongo&4kids » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 pm

thanks guys for your input. I have the new mirror now, and I will attempt to replace it this weekend. Will let you know how I get on!
bongo&4kids
Bongonaut

Post by bongo&4kids » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:15 pm

I managed to fit the new mirror yesterday. It was more straightforward than I thought.

The black gue did seperate and go back together without too much fuss.

New mirror working great,
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:57 pm

bongo&4kids wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:15 pm I managed to fit the new mirror yesterday. It was more straightforward than I thought.

The black gue did seperate and go back together without too much fuss.

New mirror working great,
Great news. I've been in the habit for years now of folding the wing mirrors every time i park the car so as to prevent people in car parks etc knocking them back as they squeeze between vehicles, as that was what caused them to break before (though it was kids and catching bushes in fact, but same principle). Call me paranoid ha ha.
humming
Bongonaut

Post by humming » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:12 am

My passenger door mirror has bitten the dust and now just flaps around in the wind. :cry:

I have tried all the suggested mirror manipulations to try and get it back into a working condition, but with no luck, so I need to replace it.

My problem is that I have painted mirror housings that match the car, and the replacement mirors that are available have either a black or other colour mirror housing, and I want to keep the existing housing so I don't have to get into respraying the housing.

So, my question is ..... once the mirror is removed from the door, is it easy strip out and replace the broken 'bits' with parts from another mirror, if so how do you do it ?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:25 am

I took mine off, removed the mechanism and sprayed the covers without too much difficulty, but it was quite a long time ago and didn't take pictures at the time. However there may be more than one design I have a feeling that later models were constructed slightly differently.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
humming
Bongonaut

Post by humming » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:27 am

I should have mentioned that Tilley is a 2002 model.

Return to “Techie Stuff”