Couple of Newbie Techie Questions!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Markas
Bongolier

Re: Couple of Newbie Techie Questions!

Post by Markas » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:38 pm

Bob wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:40 pm Just for interest our caravan tyres run a 60 psi as called for in the handbook.
My bad for making assumptions! The two 'vans I've had were both Bailey Rangers so quite lightweight (1200kg MTPLM), and they both ran at 42psi!
Presumably your 'van is rather more substantial.
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:14 pm

That's the word. :lol:

Coachman, 1600 kgs gross.

Your point is right, though, pressures are much higher.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:16 am

my wifes aft bongo (who always carried everything including the kitchen sink even as a daily driver) ran best at around 42 psi, mine was a tin top with heavy duty van tyres manual gearbox and stripped out to a van ran best at 50 psi, gripped like a sports car.
the point is really find a good tyre and find the pressures that suite your set up the best, hard can be uncomfortable but good on fuel, soft can be vague and dangerous.
the bongo is carefully designed, and in the handbook has an advised max speed of from memory 62 mph. its a compromise of a vehicle, but very good at what it does. 8) :wink:
joeldrummer79
Bongonaut

Post by joeldrummer79 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:01 pm

Tony x wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:38 pm The wallowing / floating feeling isn't normal and will most likely be due to the damping in the shocks having gone. The £100 ish rear air suspension mod will help a lot although it masks rather than solves the issue.
Just a quick note on spare tyres. Once you know what size you need ( use the tyre size calculator ) save money and get a part worn one. It'll probably be a better size anyway as your originals will likely be worn if you get a puncture.
y

Cheers for this, maybe I'll just look at getting the shocks replaced then.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
joeldrummer79
Bongonaut

Post by joeldrummer79 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:03 pm

Cheers for all your replies, sorry it's took so long to reply I couldn't seem to get onto the forum, kept saying down for maintenance all week! No notifications to my emails either 🤔 Just managed to stumble onto this forum through my phone.

Cheers guys. Lots of work to do but have all Winter to do it! 😀😀
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens

Return to “Techie Stuff”