POR 15

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sotal
Supreme Being

POR 15

Post by sotal » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:45 am

I've got a few small rust spots which have appeared which I would like to address before winter sets in.

I plan to use POR 15 and was going to purchase the small starter kit (which seems to sell for about £20). Includes degreaser, metal prep, por 15, brushes and gloves.

However just wanted to check a few things first to make sure I'm going about this the right way.

I can only seem to find the por 15 in black - is this correct or do some shops sell other colours? I would prefer white as all but one rust spot are on white areas - the other is on silver.

Once painted on - does standard car paint go over it OK?

If I sand down the area, treat it, then paint it with POR, then spray over with car paint - will it look OK? Anything else I should do to improve it?

I'm not after a perfect finish, but something that will look good from a few feet away and will stop the rust coming back.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Re: POR 15

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:26 pm

Hiya, I use POR15 and rate it highly. You need 2 coats, read the instructions, that starter kit includes other bits and bobs I think for degreasing etc (something like that, a few POR15 products). I have just 1 pot of grey paint. (A big one that cost £44.00) and have done a lot of painting with it. It goes a long way.

I have used the paints4u touch ups over the top of the POR15 and to my eye it is reasonable. I sand, POR15 x 2 coats, then neat green paints4u then lacquer. On some areas (under the Bongo) I just put 2 layers of POR15 after a rub down. On a sill that had a small plate welded on last year covering a 1-2cms hole I cleaned using plain Isopropyl alcohol, then POR15 x 2 coats then just put a layer of Waxoyl over the top. Zero rust showing thus far.

So there are various ways I have used it and so far rust has not come back. Either on larger areas or spot areas.

I am not sure if acrylic spray would be ok as I have never tried it. Might be worth testing that on a bit of old metal, an L bracket or rusty hinge to see how it goes.

It dries absolutely and totally rock hard. You literally need to grind it off to remove it.

TIP ! : When you stir it do so for a prolonged period and very gently as not to introduce air bubbles which can leave a slightly rough surface
and maybe let water in. 2 coats should still seal it fine but it won't be as smooth with bubbles in.

I use cheapo (read: disposable) Pound shop brushes as you have no hope in hell getting that stuff off the brush after.

More info here... I think I posted about POR15 before this as well last year probably...

https://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum ... 47#p695647

Here we go...

https://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum ... 70#p682070
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:48 pm

Thanks, have ordered some. Will hopefully get chance to try it out before the cold weather sets in too much
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:24 am

Yes let us know how you get on. Temps should be ok, just avoid rain. It supposedly dries better in higher humidity due to its particular chemical nature. To me it stands appart from Hammerite. Sorted my patch this weekend, I dont expoect to see the rust come back on that spot for a long, long time now. Be thorough with the application and always try and sand/scratch into the decent paintwork around the rust slightly, don't let ANY little bit of rust be uncovered or missed, then it won't creep/bubble and spread.

That is fundamental, it very often extends away for 1-2 cms under existing paint surface from where the obvious missing paint/surface rust reveals itself. Tackle the rust under existing paint either side and your repair will be much more resilient to return. It feels a bit barbaric but I kind of chisel/surface scrape mine off with a screwdriver untill I hit paint with undercoat under it.

Good luck.

Return to “Techie Stuff”