Flat batteries!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Andy Gee
Apprentice Bongonaut

Flat batteries!

Post by Andy Gee » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:46 pm

Apologies if this has already been covered but on leaving to go home after our first night in our new Bongo we had a flat battery and the van wouldn't start.

We'd had the fridge on which i'm aware would have drained the leisure battery but didn't think the van battery would have been affected. Is there anything we can do to stop this happening again as we're now worried to take her out overnight in case it happens again. The conversion is a 321 away montague if that helps.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Flat batteries!

Post by g8dhe » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:17 pm

You may have had something else on, either that or a faulty Split Charge Relay, as the relay should separate the two batteries to stop that happening!
Might be worth checking what is running from which battery, disconnect each in turn and then try all the different electrical items to see which there connected to!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:45 pm

It can be tricky to ensure the two batteries are truly separate - we found several ways they were connected when we first got our second Bongo. Accessories can be the culprit. Alarms and the like might be inadvertently linking the two positives
One way around such issues is to put a sturdy switch on the positive output of the starter battery and turn the battery off when parked. If you do this buy wisely. The switch will have to handle a lot of amps.
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:02 am

dont have double batteries,but after replacing a battery i now know is fine,and fitting an uprated alternator,it was all down to one of the two usb type chargers i had in there
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:18 am

It shouldn't happen. Give 321 a call once you've satisfied yourself it wasn't something you did!

Did you pack anything into the driver's footwell which could have depressed the break pedal? The brake lights remain active and will drain a starter battery.

Ignition switch completely off and keys removed?

Have you got an electric control panel with switches for running off mains hookup, charging etc.? If so, what position were the switches in? (I don't know anything about these units :shock: but somebody else will :lol: )

As g8dhe says, work out what runs off which battery. When disconnecting a battery for this test, take off its earth lead. Don't need to touch its positive. Be prepared for some odd results if the charging relay is faulty, like stuff appearing to work off either battery.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Andy Gee
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Andy Gee » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:12 pm

Thanks guys. Got a friend who's gonna come have a look at it for me who knows electrics. Will show him your comments and see if we can get it sorted.

Return to “Techie Stuff”