Overheating/Gurgling etc

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

stevlor
Bongonaut

Overheating/Gurgling etc

Post by stevlor » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi all,

Moving some of my things today in the bongo on a 70 mile drive, after about 5 minutes the temperature gauge went further over to the right than I had previously thought possible (beyond the H for hot!). I pulled over when I could, to find steam coming out from beneath the bongo!

I don't have a low coolant alarm, and to be honest when I checked the header tank I couldn't tell at all what level the water was at - unless it was completely gone it seemed difficult to tell.

Here's the bit you might find a bit idiotic:

After ringing 15+ garages in the area, all of which were either booked for the next few days or wouldn't work on bongos, I decided to risk it and just buy some coolant from a petrol station (G30), fill her up along with some water too and hope for the best. I really needed to get home tonight and was stranded.

Anyway, I got home with no further problems, the gauge stayed in the middle, but I didn't go over 50mph for the journey though.

My question is, what next? Should I bleed the lot, or just take it to a garage to see if any further damage has been done? Or just leave it?!

I had noticed the gauge being towards the H end of things a few days before, and around the same time had heard a strange 'gurgling' sound coming from the passenger side (which I now suppose was boiling coolant?!) but I've been quite busy so was waiting to get home before checking it out. I know not clever, but I hadn't checked the coolant level since getting the bongo about 18months ago :shock:
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Overheating/Gurgling etc

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:18 pm

I think using G30 was a bad idea. It's a OAT type which is not compatible with traditional glycol based antifreeze which is typically blue or green. Worst case you can get a chemical reaction where it turns into sludge. Your best bet is to drain and thoroughly flush the system, then refill with fresh coolant mix and get it properly bled. Hopefully, no damage has been done but you should get the coolant system fully checked out to be sure.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:23 pm

It would also be advisable to change the thermostat after a wee boil up,they often Fail after a bit of extra heat.
take care

Good Luck.
stevlor
Bongonaut

Post by stevlor » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:58 pm

Thanks guys, g30 was just the only coolant available where I was parked! Rang local garage who just recommended I carry on using it to see if head gasket would go :shock: not really what I expected. Will drain it then put new coolant in and see what happe s I guess. It's in for its mot next month anyway and I was hoping to sell it after that so don't want to be spending too much tbh.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:03 pm

Moral:

Use a Bongo Friendly garage. :|
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:18 am

stevlor wrote:Thanks guys, g30 was just the only coolant available where I was parked! Rang local garage who just recommended I carry on using it to see if head gasket would go :shock: not really what I expected. Will drain it then put new coolant in and see what happe s I guess. It's in for its mot next month anyway and I was hoping to sell it after that so don't want to be spending too much tbh.
It is quite hard to drain all the coolant because of all the pipework and its ups and downs. It helps to remove a rear heater hose and flush from both ends.
Best find why the coolant boiled in the first place. I'd recommend doing a pressure test on cooling system. Appreciate you want to keep cost down. Have a search on here for a post by Northern Bongalow describing how to DIY this. Somebody else posted about a kit made with bike bits!
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
stevlor
Bongonaut

Post by stevlor » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:53 am

Just passed its MOT thankfully, and garage has found the coolant leak - a pin prick sized hole in a rubber pipe underneath the driver's seat. I'll take a picture shortly but do you think I could try something like Wynns radiator stop leak or Radweld?

And if that doesn't work, replacement pipe from bongospares or somewhere similar?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:00 pm

Personaly I'd get the pipe replaced.
stevlor
Bongonaut

Post by stevlor » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:24 pm

How would you go about looking for a replacement pipe bob, would I need a part number etc?

Pipe in question is marked in yellow on photos:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h4dbaz ... p=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pUlMr2 ... p=drivesdk
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:44 pm

I'd be trying Ian's Bongo Shop. :wink:

He may recognise it, or you should be able to get the number from the Lush Projects diagrames.

Third post on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74111
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:01 pm

just ask ian for the over the starter motor pipe on a diesel, the S shaped one, he will know which one it is.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:31 pm

It's this one: https://bongoland.co.uk/product/hose-61-213/ We have several in stock.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
stevlor
Bongonaut

Post by stevlor » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:36 pm

Thanks guys. Easy to fit yourself do you know?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:32 am

easy to fit but it will need bleeding after fitting. while your fitting it dont knock the little sensor that is nearby its fitted in the cylinder head, this sensor is for the fans and the ecu, if you crack the end so its loose it will need replacing too.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:23 am

Northern Bongolow wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:32 am easy to fit but it will need bleeding after fitting. while your fitting it dont knock the little sensor that is nearby its fitted in the cylinder head, this sensor is for the fans and the ecu, if you crack the end so its loose it will need replacing too.
Maybe best to replace anyway whilst in there, if not expensive and given its age?

Return to “Techie Stuff”