Coolant or no coolant.....

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

tmp
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Coolant or no coolant.....

Post by tmp » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:31 pm

OK, I've just had another look. Dipping the tank through the cap there looks to be about 5mm of coolant there. That side is well above the max level. The trouble is there is only the tiniest slit between that compartment and the main tank and I just cannot see the level through there.

My low coolant alarm is the two screw sort so I loosened the top screw off until the alarm sounded and it seems there is about 20mm before it sounds. Given that had I not even looked at the tank I wouldn't even be asking, are there any other indicators of low coolant?

Also it turns out that the rear heater has been blasting hot air out no problem according to tge passengers so I think the heater has been fine.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:54 pm

Sorry, I don't understand your description of the expansion tank.

I'm not familiar with this tank being in two sections with a tiny slit between these two sections.

Also you say there is just 5mm of coolant in the tank but it is well above max level. This doesn't make sense to me, but possibly I'm misunderstanding. :?

Re-reading you say you haven't looked in the tank, yet earlier you say a litre of coolant was added, can you tell us more, please?
tmp
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by tmp » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:58 pm

Sorry, I assumed all tanks were the same. The tank has a top half and a bottom half which is half as wide as the top. So there is a deep part on the left with the minimum/max markings and a smaller compartment on the right which has the filler cap. The right and left sides are separated internally by some kind of partition which has a small slit. This appears to be so you fill the right side and it overflows into the left side.

Like this:

https://goo.gl/images/2iEaEA
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:27 pm

tmp wrote:Sorry, I assumed all tanks were the same. The tank has a top half and a bottom half which is half as wide as the top. So there is a deep part on the left with the minimum/max markings and a smaller compartment on the right which has the filler cap. The right and left sides are separated internally by some kind of partition which has a small slit. This appears to be so you fill the right side and it overflows into the left side.

Like this:

https://goo.gl/images/2iEaEA
Probably what you are looking at is the Weir or De Gassing chamber.

Take care
Good luck
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:02 pm

All the tanks are identical. To measure the coolant level when you can't see thru the plastic, wait till the engine is cold, remove the tank Cap and then using a lollipop stick or similar dip it VERTICALLY down the cap hole till it reaches the base, the coolant level when full should leave a mark at 2cms from the bottom of the stick.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:18 pm

g8dhe wrote:All the tanks are identical. To measure the coolant level when you can't see thru the plastic, wait till the engine is cold, remove the tank Cap and then using a lollipop stick or similar dip it VERTICALLY down the cap hole till it reaches the base, the coolant level when full should leave a mark at 2cms from the bottom of the stick.
And as long as the bottom of the stick is wet is it safe to assume air will not have been pulled into the cooling system?
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:47 pm

As said above all bongo "header/degassing tanks" are the same. They are made up of many connected compartments. To check your coolant...as already stated, dip the tank vertically and you should show approx 2 cms. The top screw of your alarm should be midway between LOW/FULL, if your alarm sounds your coolant is low and needs topping up, if it sounds again after only a short while then you need to find out where the coolant is going.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:56 am

It might be helpful if you post a photo of the tank,you never know these old tubs have went through more changes than " Danny La Rue".
tmp
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by tmp » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:10 pm

Right, I put in another 3/4 of a litre and the level came up into the right side of the tank. So now I know I have coolant in there and I can see how the tank is supposed to look from the outside.

I've monitored it over a week including a 200 mile round trip and no leaks. Looks like it was just underfilled.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:12 pm

What you are describing doesn't make sense, there is no 'right' side to the tank.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
tmp
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by tmp » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:27 pm

haydn callow wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:12 pm What you are describing doesn't make sense, there is no 'right' side to the tank.
Perhaps I'm not describing it well. I mean the side on the right as you look at it when looking under the bonnet.

Return to “Techie Stuff”