V6 cranks but doesn't start

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

burt
Apprentice Bongonaut

V6 cranks but doesn't start

Post by burt » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:55 pm

Hi,
Hope someone can help. My V6 won't start. It has a spark and I can smell fuel. It does try to start but doesn't? Any help would be much appreciated.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: V6 cranks but doesn't start

Post by Bob » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:43 pm

Hi

Welcome aboard, and sorry to hear you have a problem.

Does it have an imobilser?

Even an empty tank will smell of petrol, is there definitely fuel in it, and has it been sat for any length of time? Fuel does go 'off' with time.

I'm sure others will have some thoughts, but meantime I'd try the Search facility on here and trawl through some old posts. Just put 'and' between key words, eg Bongo and V6 and not and starting.

Good luck. [-o<
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:49 pm

Has this happened suddenly? Had it always started perfectly before? Any link to the appearance of wetter and/or cooler weather? Ignition related stuff would be my prime suspect. Coil, HT leads, maybe even crankshaft sensor. Worth searching old threads for other v6 starting problem discussions. And hopefully someone more technically savvy than me will be along with thoughts. Good luck and keep us posted.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:23 pm

Check the timing/cam belt and valve gear,also the ignition timing and distributor drive gear.

Good Luck.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:16 am

Anything else of note like an LPG conversion? Did the problem happen suddenly? Had you been thru a big puddle? The crank position sensor is low down and quite exposed. Have you tried some Easy Start squirted direct into air filter box? If it runs a bit longer on gas, then you're probably looking a fuel supply problem, possibly with the in-tank pump. Have you checked you're getting sparks at all 6 plugs, and is there any possibility that the HT leads have been fitted in the wrong order, perhaps as the result of doing some other work on the engine?
burt
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by burt » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:16 pm

Hi, I have replaced the ht leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm and plugs. It now starts but only running on 4 cylinders. I have now found that the injectors on the 2 are not working. Think they may be blocked. Have got a set on order. Fingers crossed. [-o<
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:09 pm

Valuable update, thanks.

And good luck. 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”