ATF leak

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Elbowpipe
Bongonaut

ATF leak

Post by Elbowpipe » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:52 pm

Just drove from Skye to Edinburgh and on arriving, discovered a leak which I'm assured by a mechanic friend is transmission fluid. He asked me if I noticed any difference to driving the Bongo and I had to admit that when I arrived in Edinburgh, taking off at traffic lights there was a small delay before the clutch engaged. The leak is just in front of midway along the chassis and creates a small puddle a few inches in diameter.

A couple of questions:

1. is there a likelihood of damage having been done to the gearbox?

2. if I buy a lot of transmission fluid can I get back to Skye topping up from time to time? (would prefer to get a local mechanic to look at it)
cmm303
Supreme Being

Re: ATF leak

Post by cmm303 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:29 am

Whilst I appreciate your desire to have it looked at by your preferred mechanic, I would understand the location and size of the leak before the journey and assure yourself it isn't going to leak catastrophically.

The leak is probably from one of two pipes between the gearbox and ATF cooler on the bottom of the radiator. A split rubber hose may be fixed with some off the shelf hose. A metal pipe could be taped.

Checking the ATF level properly needs to be done in a specific way. See this FAQ. http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 43&t=54458
Overfilling isn't a good idea
As a rough guide for starters, when cold and engine not been run, top up to the twist in the dip stick.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD

Return to “Techie Stuff”