Coolant alarm not working

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

djfairbrother
Apprentice Bongonaut

Coolant alarm not working

Post by djfairbrother » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:00 am

Hi

I think there was a coolant alarm fitted to my bongo before I bought it, but it's not working (found out the hard way!). There's 2 sensors screwed to the header tank, The wires lead across the engine to the rubber seal on the drivers side, but then I don't know where they go.

Is there a normal place for the alarms to be fitted so I can check it hasn't been removed at some point?

Are there any common faults that might be causing it to not be working?

There's a little black switch below and to the right of the steering wheel which I have turned on, I presumed that controls the alarm but hasn't gone off when I've drained the system or when it overheated and ran dry.

Is there a good way to test without draining the coolant system and having to bleed? I have an unidentifiable leak (suspected head gasket or cracked engine block which aren't worth fixing given the age and condition of my bongo) so planning to rely on the alarm until my bongo inevitably finally gives up :cry:

Any advice much appreciated
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Coolant alarm not working

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:15 am

My Haydn low coolant alarm lets me know its working by doing a self test beep each time i switch on. Its never let me down in 11 years. Could yours has either been disabled or else is a less reliable make? You'll need to trace the wiring etc. But if you know you are using coolant then hopefully it is at a predictable rate and you can top up e.g. daily even if lca not working?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:18 am

I wouldn't think the switch was anything to do with the LCA, more likely rear fog (you'll likely need headlights on for it to work).

The LCA would normally be near that switch or possibly in the instrument cluster, but should be in your line of sight. That said if it's a diy fit it could be anywhere.

As Mike says, following the wires is best, and the good ones self test every time you switch on. Just a beep and light on for a couple of seconds.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:10 pm

Is there a small red LED bulb in one of your switch blanks or in the instrument cluster with a paper disc round it saying. Low coolant or low water??
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:15 am

djfairbrother, how did you get on with your problem?

Good Luck.

Return to “Techie Stuff”