Electric window mix up

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

costas
Bongonaut

Electric window mix up

Post by costas » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:14 pm

Hoping someone can help with what I thought would be a very easy fix...

Just replaced our bongo with a newer, less rusty 2002 model. Working my way through our snag list, I want to sort out the confused electric windows. The left button controls the drivers window and the right button, with auto function controls the passenger window. The 'don't fiddle' switch stops the drivers window. I want to swap these to as it was on my previous bongo and what I assume to be the correct way around.

I thought it would be a simple switch around of sockets in the switch but having pulled it out I can see it's only one plug and socket so no option to switch it around. Where do I go next? Despite the wiring diagram I'm not sure what my next steps are unless I need to consider moving the cables in the plug going into the switches?

In the grand scheme of things, not a big issue but keen to sort as earlier today I nearly took out the front teeth of my better half by raising the wrong window!
cmm303
Supreme Being

Re: Electric window mix up

Post by cmm303 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:45 pm

could the loom between the door and pillar have been repaired incorrectly? check it for signs of repair.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:47 pm

There is an "identical" but reversed switch used in another Mazda model that often gets put in place as a repair for a broken Bongo model switch. It sounds like this is your situation! It might be possible to correct the situation by moving the individual wires within the plug shell, but I've never had one to investigate.
This page and the plug K1-01 is the one we are talking about;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
costas
Bongonaut

Post by costas » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:00 pm

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

As soon as I figure out how to remove the wires from the plug without damaging them I'll give it a go and report back, hopefully an easy job to tick off this weekend.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:24 am

There is a barb that holds the pin in position, normally released by sliding a thin pin up from the front of the shell, and then pulling the pin out using the wire from the back. However whilst easy to say sometimes they can be buggers to release!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
costas
Bongonaut

Post by costas » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:18 pm

Sorted, thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Yes, removing them was a bugger, as was fitting them back in!

Should anyone have this odd scenario: Going on K1-01 diagram, I swapped R/L with R/W and then G with O. Normal service resumed, risk of dental bills decreased.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:15 pm

Glad you're sorted. :)

Well done fixing it, and top marks to two of our resident experts. =D>

This is what makes this Forum special. 8)
Tombo
Bongonaut

Post by Tombo » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:47 pm

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say thanks for the info and to add from my experience.
I spent ages trying to get get the pins out of the connector and watched a few you tube videos but none were the same as the one in the window switch.

In the end I used a small screwdriver (a cheap set of depinning tools from ebay worked as well) to release the barb from each of the pins. I found that the pins wouldn't fully come out so I removed all of them (including power) part way, about 3mm. I then released the grid like clip from the back of the connector plug - this let the pins come out fully. I swapped the pins round and put them back in reversing the way I took them out. Push the gridded back clip half way in, locate pins til they click then push the back clip in the last bit.
Swapping the wires worked a treat - the auto function works correctly too.
Thanks again!
2000, 2.5 Diesel, 4wd, AFT

Return to “Techie Stuff”